Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is the Role of the Principal Euphonium Player?

Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    I found when leading a section in a community band that having my bell pointing toward the section (section on my right) helped with intonation of the section. If I sat with the section to my left, they couldn’t hear me, and intonation suffered.

Don.
    With my bad right ear, it's a tradeoff. Either I can't hear them, or they can't hear me. Which is more important?
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

2. I will add, don’t hog the solos. If there is a nice lick that you know someone else in the section can play well, offer to let them do it. My experience is that there is usually plenty to go around. In community groups you keep good players in the section by respecting their contributions and letting them share in the fun (and glory- such as it is).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I will add, don’t hog the solos. If there is a nice lick that you know someone else in the section can play well, offer to let them do it. My experience is that there is usually plenty to go around. In community groups you keep good players in the section by respecting their contributions and letting them share in the fun (and glory- such as it is).
    Yes, good advice. I used to do so in the CG Band, although I played the majority of the solos. In pieces where there was a repeat, like the Holst 2nd Suite's march, I would play the solo one time and the other player would cover the other time. But in some cases I would make the switch based on ability. Sitting next to me, in sequence, were Denis Winter, Roger Behrend, and Danny Vinson. Danny was probably the closest in style and sound to me, but we were still different. The difference was greater with Denis and Roger. In some solos, it just seemed to me that the sound/style of D/R/D would fit the solo better than mine., so I would hand it off.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

. . . or I could play my Conn 86I. It's a front-valve horn, and the bell points to my left.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    With my bad right ear, it's a tradeoff. Either I can't hear them, or they can't hear me. Which is more important?
    in a typically loud community band, I mostly couldn’t hear my section even with two good ears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12