Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincolnshire Posy - Grainger

Lincolnshire Posy - Grainger

Our band is planing on playing this great piece at our first concert this season. I've played with Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches now for nearly 25 years and have to admit I've never played this great piece with this band. Since two of the euphers read only treble clef (self included) I've been busy transposing some parts on Finale. What I noticed is that the band has the original work from 1937 — not Frederick Fennell's version. I've read reports that there are lots of errors in the first printing.

My question is there an errata sheet somewhere that lists the errors of first publication? Thanks.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I suspect the errata might be within the Brass Compendium that The Instrumentalist magazine published. Not sure if it is still available.

But here is a start on tracking down the issues:

https://www.windrep.org/Lincolnshire_Posy#Errata
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave. I found that one but it only says over 500 errors in the original work. Yikes! I suspect there will be lots of 'pencil corrections' on members parts already.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

All that work to track down and fix errors, and transpose parts, why not just buy the Fennell edition?
    --
    Barry

FWIW, it may not be in the Compendium I mentioned. There is no article by Fennell. There is no title starting with "Lincoln..." (although it could be under "A Guide to..." or "Errors in ..." or "Errata for..." etc.). The book is 900 pages, so it might be hiding there. But Barry had the best advice!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Yep, I agree, we should purchase the Fennell version but I don't control the purse strings.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Not that I am independently wealthy, which I am not, but to play that piece I would happily purchase the Fennell version and let that be my donation to the band for the year. I have often had to purchase (will probably not had to, but just felt it was appropriate to) the band accompaniments to some of the solos I play. The price to pay to get to play a cool piece of music.

Then, you can also be whatever level of donor to the band that $200 is. And if you have another euphonium player who wants to play a great piece, have him/her go halves with you.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 10-30-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I’ve downloaded both the euphonium and baritone parts from an online source. I played the whole set one summer about 1/2 a century ago, under the direction of Keith Brion.

My only experience EVER playing in a Keith Brion ensemble OR playing LP.

So I’m working on all the sections, EVERY DAY, during my daily practice.

No sign around here of anyone doing it any time soon, but if I hear of anyone doing it, who also needs a hardworking
    geriatric beginner with money enough to buy them a score, I’ll be at the head of the line.

We had a concert last night and it went pretty well. I've always liked 'The Brisk Young Sailor' as I sometimes play it during warmups (if I can't slur the first five notes, I'm not warmed up yet).
    I did not play this on baritone but my M5050 so it's darker. Below is a link to an excerpt of that great piece by Percy Grainger if interested.

Lincolnshire Posy - Mov. 4 excerpt:
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Nice job, Rick! Your 5050 is about as far from a baritone as a euphonium can be, but it still works fine.

If I could offer one suggestion... (This is a good general purpose suggestion, but it might be a bit more applicable to a big horn.) I would work to be more clear on the 16th-note passing notes - they are a little lost in the hall. It is often a matter of focusing more on the note and making sure you are still supplying good air support even on the itty-bitty notes.

It's actually my first tip for the Holst 2nd Suite in this video (right around 1:14):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3zXDhl83w

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast