Thread: Exploring The Higher Register

1. Exploring The Higher Register

Hello everyone,

In my practice today, I have been focusing on the high register practicing long tones for twenty beats and then moving up a semi-tone with the aim of increasing my own range.

As part of this routine, I have spent quite an extended period of time working on my lip muscles as wellas air capacity using devices which include a breathing bag, an ultrabreathe, a prohands fingere trainer, a u-trainer and the compression training system.

I have developed the view that to play consistently at a high level, I have to keep all the muscles that I use for playing in shape.

I have found since starting this routine that my stamina has increased to the point where I very rarely feel tired even after extended periods of practice.

I was rather curious to discover other techniques that other individuals use to increase their own higher register?

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Website - https://mdpmicahdominicpar.wixsite.com/my-site
    Blog - https://theblogofabrassmusician1994.blogspot.com/

Facebook Account - https://www.facebook.com/Micah-Domin...05492345484536
    Twitter Account - @MicahDParsons94
    Instagram Account - @MDP.Micah.Dominic.Parsons
    Youtube Account - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRj...KljG3JLcuMs60A

Quote Originally Posted by MDP-Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
    Hello everyone,

In my practice today, I have been focusing on the high register practicing long tones for twenty beats and then moving up a semi-tone with the aim of increasing my own range.

As part of this routine, I have spent quite an extended period of time working on my lip muscles as wellas air capacity using devices which include a breathing bag, an ultrabreathe, a prohands fingere trainer, a u-trainer and the compression training system.

I have developed the view that to play consistently at a high level, I have to keep all the muscles that I use for playing in shape.

I have found since starting this routine that my stamina has increased to the point where I very rarely feel tired even after extended periods of practice.

I was rather curious to discover other techniques that other individuals use to increase their own higher register?

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Hi Micah,

I generally think the use of the Ultrabreathe is a bad idea. The Ultrabreathe is used to help restore normal breathing function by strengthening weak a diaphragm. The question is, how much does this help a person with normal function? If a player is having issues with not taking a full breath or fully exhaling, then I think its may be some value, as the device set can provide a sensation of air movement. But, what usually happens is the player cranks up the resistance which generates tension. Thus, the player is teaching themselves to breath in an abnormal manner with excesses tension. Think of it this way, when a sprinter trains, they do not drag something heavy behind them, as this changes the way they run. Same with breathing; breathing using excess resistance changes the way you breath. Same goes for resistance device for hands. It little is OK, too much creates tensions.

Mike

Keep in mind the diaphragm only works to pull in air.

It relaxes on exhale, your chest muscles do the rest.

DG

For my own use, I tend to adjust my music and exercises during practice to work on whatever I'm having trouble with or wish to develop. The only physical took I use sometimes is my practice mute - it automatically encourages me to support my tone and pitch center better.

I have no objection to using the tools such as Micah described, but I also don't have enough experience with them to know if they would work for me or not. As long as my current system works, I prefer it because A) it is a more real environment, and B) I'm still working on other skills as I do this (i.e. if I use my mute to help my air support, I'm still working with my chops, fingers, and coordination).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Keep in mind the diaphragm only works to pull in air.

It relaxes on exhale, your chest muscles do the rest.

DG
    This!

Contraction of the Diaphragm and the External Intercostals muscles (+ a couple of other muscles that have a smaller input) work to expand the chest which results in inhalation.

Passive exhalation (quiet exhalation during relaxed normal breathing) is due to relaxation and elastic recoil.

When we actively exhale (e.g. blowing an instrument, or trying to get more air when we are exercising) we use Abdominal muscles and Internal Intercostal Muscles to varying degrees.

With regards to the Ultrabreathe, out of curiosity I had a quick look for any journal articles that investigated whether there was a benefit for use in musicians and found this https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._UltrabreatheR
    SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
    Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
    Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    This!

Contraction of the Diaphragm and the External Intercostals muscles (+ a couple of other muscles that have a smaller input) work to expand the chest which results in inhalation.

Passive exhalation (quiet exhalation during relaxed normal breathing) is due to relaxation and elastic recoil.

When we actively exhale (e.g. blowing an instrument, or trying to get more air when we are exercising) we use Abdominal muscles and Internal Intercostal Muscles to varying degrees.

With regards to the Ultrabreathe, out of curiosity I had a quick look for any journal articles that investigated whether there was a benefit for use in musicians and found this https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._UltrabreatheR
    Couple of thoughts about this study:

1. Nothing explicitly stating whether or not there is any association between study and company that makes UltraBreathe.
    2. Did not appear to compare training program w/UltraBreathe to training program w/o UltraBreathe, so cannot tell effect of UltraBreathe.
    3. Did not see any information about resistance settings. UltraBreathe can go from barley providing resistance to almost completely obstructing breathing. While the lower end may have some use, those higher setting can be problematic as i mentioned above.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Couple of thoughts about this study:

1. Nothing explicitly stating whether or not there is any association between study and company that makes UltraBreathe.
    2. Did not appear to compare training program w/UltraBreathe to training program w/o UltraBreathe, so cannot tell effect of UltraBreathe.
    3. Did not see any information about resistance settings. UltraBreathe can go from barley providing resistance to almost completely obstructing breathing. While the lower end may have some use, those higher setting can be problematic as i mentioned above.

Mike
    Agreed. The other issue I have with this study is the sample size. There were some interesting findings in the article but not enough information to feel confident in making definitive statements about those findings. I'll log in to my journal access account at the University and see if I can find any better quality articles.
    SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
    Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
    Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

8. Hello everyone,

It has been absolutely fascinating reading all of your comments and it has got me thinking about the effects of using training devices to assist us in improving our own ability.

When we breathe normally we are not using the same type or amount of air that we would use when we are playing a brass instrument. I would agree that some devices will cause a musician to tense up but equally as musicians we have to learn how to release tension. I know that in some mindfulness programmes that participants are encouraged to scrunch up parts of their bodies such a closing their hand really tightly and then tauught to release that tension and to feel that tension being released.

I also think that tension is quite a natural thing as it is part of our body preparing for a 'fight or flight' situation and therefore I feel it is important to try and recreate those conditions. I know what when I use an ultrabreathe that I feel less tense and my airflow is more stable.

I think sometimes we have to try and recreate all sorts of playing conditions to really vegin to push the limitations of our ability.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Website - https://mdpmicahdominicpar.wixsite.com/my-site
    Blog - https://theblogofabrassmusician1994.blogspot.com/

Facebook Account - https://www.facebook.com/Micah-Domin...05492345484536
    Twitter Account - @MicahDParsons94
    Instagram Account - @MDP.Micah.Dominic.Parsons
    Youtube Account - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRj...KljG3JLcuMs60A