Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass Band Auditions and Audition Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    IF you’re auditioning for a euphonium position why would you offer your services as baritone player? If they have a euphonium vacancy audition for that alone, otherwise you might as well suggest tenor horn or trombone. Offering to play a position that isn’t the one you’re planning on auditioning for smacks of desperation. Where would it end? Cornet? BBb bass?

My experience of auditions in the UK brass band scene is that you don’t know the pieces before you arrive. In at the deep end, which is clearly best, as our bands have a weird compulsion for competition and pressure.

I also wouldn’t play a well known solo if you have the choice. Be off the wall. Be challenging. If you play Brilliante there’s every chance someone will say “David Childs does it better”.

Just my two penn’orth.
    In the US the british baritone is a rare instrument. When I've asked for baritone subs in our band I have to reach out to euphonium players AND I have to provide them an instrument. Literally nobody owns one aside from regulars in the band. There is not a single music school in this country, that I know of, that offers a Music Performance degree on Baritone whereas there are tons who offer Euphonium.

And if you think you can succeed on tenor horn, offer those services as well. The point was to make yourself attractive to the band, however that needs to happen, and then put the work in. That will come through way more than anything.

And the saying "David Childs does it better" will apply to literally any piece of music ever written. The point was, again, to show you know the lit and that you can play it.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

"David Childs does it better."

Yeah, and he's a lot more expensive
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

that makes me wonder if a euphonium player wanted to also play a baritone, and money was not an object, which baritone would be recommended? I see praise on the web site for the Yamaha Neo and Prestige 2056.

I have new Bach bass trumpet and wonder how close it comes to a baritone. I just like dabbling on different horns in my old age! I also would like to play more jazz. I do so on a trombone in a local community jazz band, but my skills are lacking (never got lessons on the trombone and consequently, my slide technique leaves a lot to be desired). I am, however, working on improving.

If you want to playbaritone in a brass band you need a real British style baritone. There is no substitute. As far as brands, I am not nearly as well versed as others but there are many threads on that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    that makes me wonder if a euphonium player wanted to also play a baritone, and money was not an object, which baritone would be recommended? I see praise on the web site for the Yamaha Neo and Prestige 2056.

I have new Bach bass trumpet and wonder how close it comes to a baritone. I just like dabbling on different horns in my old age! I also would like to play more jazz. I do so on a trombone in a local community jazz band, but my skills are lacking (never got lessons on the trombone and consequently, my slide technique leaves a lot to be desired). I am, however, working on improving.

It really depends on the band. I know there are probably some community-level brass bands that would just be happy to have the part covered. But for any serious band that competes it would not be legal for them to be at the competition with a bass trumpet in the band, nor is it anywhere close to the right sound. A euphonium would be closer to the baritone sound than a bass trumpet or a marching trombone would be.

I really like the Neo YBH-831S, it's absolutely my favorite, but I tried Doug Ruby's Sterling Virtuoso baritone once and thought it was excellent, although very different. I also used to own a 2056 and I like the sound and the playability and feel are very good but the intonation borders on unusable, for me at least -- but I have a strong aversion to having to regularly use alternate fingerings when there are instruments out there that don't require it. Besson 955 is much better, and I also like the 3-valve compensating wessex quite a bit and it's a bargain.
    --
    Barry

If I get one, I also do not like to use alternating fingering. I have enough trouble with that on my Besson 2052 Euphonium (plus really having to adjust the trigger a lot for high notes). The Neo seems to be having best consistent reviews. The Wessex is definitely a lot less expensive. I will mull over it for a while to see if I want to get a baritone or not. It is not like I need one. It is just an expensive hobby

Thank you for your feedback.

would not having a 4th valve be a detriment?

Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    would not having a 4th valve be a detriment?
    I assume the Wessex compensating Baritone compensates for the sharp C and Cb concert pitches. A 4th valve on a compensating horn does the same but also allows the pedal octaves which are for the moot on brass band baritone parts. To sum up, the lack of the 4th valve and it’s connected compensating system should not be a detriment.

the thing is, every horn i look up is sold out, Wessex, Yamaha Neo, Besson 2056, and more. Must be a run on horns! Gives me time to concentrate on trying to play my 2052 in tune (a work in progress with a lot of drawbacks from time to time)!!!

The compensating 3-valve baritones are actually quite flat rather than sharp on the 1-3 and 1-2-3 combinations, a result of not being able to make the compensating tubing short enough. The notes are okay in fast passages, but for sustained notes I either had to lip it so far up that the tone suffered, or jam the main tuning slide in, which is what I wound up doing.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast