Thread: FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium - Trigger, Heavy Gold Brass Bell, Silver

Thumbs up FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium - Trigger, Heavy Gold Brass Bell, Silver

A very nice used Sterling that is is excellent condition. Silver plated with gold trim. It has the heavy gauge red brass bell that I liked the best when I played Sterling, and this bell is 12" (larger than the one I had). An excellent British-made euphonium that has a modernized version of the traditional British tone. The seller says is has the Bauerfeind valve set, but he also says he bought the horn new in 2018. I thought Sterling had gone to a Chinese valve group by then, but if he bought this from Custom Music (which used to be the exclusive U.S. distributor), it could all be true. Custom had some older stock that might have had those valves, but which were still new horns. Starting price is $4,599 and buy-it-now is $6,000. Either price represents an excellent buy for a horn of this quality.

SOLD FOR $4,599

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175375675632?ViewItem=&item=175375675632
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	9222 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	9223 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	9224 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	9225
    Last edited by davewerden; 08-19-2022 at 09:13 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hello everyone,

I'm the seller of this horn. It was indeed purchased from Custom Music, and my understanding was that it was old stock as David has suggested. As far as the valves go, the pistons, block, and tubing "knuckles" all fit the pattern of Bauerfeind that I have seen on other horns that have them, such as the Adams models. I had another Sterling on trial before purchasing this one, and the valves were completely different, more like Besson's. Possibly that valve set was newer and Chinese-made. At any rate, the valves on my horn are Bauerfeind to the best of my knowledge. If anyone knows how to tell with certainty, please let me know. The bell is actually 11 7/8" for those who are picky about such things. It's obviously larger than the 11" bell of my Besson 767, but I didn't think to measure it precisely earlier.

The Sterling is a great horn - it has a lot of presence in a wind band (almost too much), and it will fill a church sanctuary with ease. It's a heavy horn, and for my playing posture the leadpipe does not wrap far enough around the bell to be comfortable - the weight of the horn is far from my body and it always felt a bit unstable. I used an Ergobrass with some success, but it was still quite cumbersome. When listening to recordings of my playing, I sounded pretty much like "me" on either the Sterling or the Besson. It's more work to get the Besson's sound out over the band, and I miss the trigger, but it's just a much better fit for me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjjc View Post
    The bell is actually 11 7/8" for those who are picky about such things. It's obviously larger than the 11" bell of my Besson 767, but I didn't think to measure it precisely earlier.
    I can't recall why it came up, but in a long-ago conversation with Paul (the maker) he said the diameter of the bell is not an absolute - it depends on who turns the bell's rim. But saying 12" is probably close enough.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I forgot to mention... It's probably safe to assume this is not the Chinese valve set. It looks like the one on my Adams, and I think I recall that the Chinese valve set looked obviously different.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. It is definitely Bauerfeind.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds