Thread: MeadSprings MEDIUM - Review Thread

MeadSprings MEDIUM - Review Thread

Just got the new Medium tension MeadSprings in and wanted to give a quick review.

I put mine into my Shires euphonium, and noticed that the original Shires springs are a lot lighter, but not so light that the valves bounce when they come up (like I remember my OEM Besson springs from years ago). Right away, there is more security and control that I feel in the valves with the added tension that I really like. Faster passages are cleaner for sure which surprised me, and I think that is because the increased tension makes the valve come up faster, especially when compared to my lighter Shires springs. The new medium tension certainly doesn’t feel as heavy as I remember my original mead springs I had on my old Besson, never did try the light ones. Overall, I think that I will be keeping them in the horn, assuming that the increased tension doesn't cause too much hand fatigue in the long run. But they do feel like an improvement over my Shires springs for sure.
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium

Thanks for the review! I'm using a hybrid version myself, which seems about right for the Adams valves. The stiffness of the springs is affected by the distance from the bottom of the piston's travel to the bottom of the cylinder. In the Adams it is shorter than in a Besson, and I found the standard Mead springs way too stiff on the 1st valve (the longest spring in the set). I finally settled on using the standard 2-3 springs from 2 sets so I'd have enough for all the valves. The light springs are close to this and work well for Adams, which comes with springs that are lighter than I like and allow too much bounce for me.

Using heavier springs WILL reduce bounce and increase the clarity in fast slurred passages. However, as I get older my arthritis becomes more of a problem. Right now I'm "recovering" from a 2-week vacation with no horn. I'm noticing more pain as I finger quickly, which I assume will be back to its normal level (of minor pain) once I get back in shape again. Such issues can arise as we age, and may make spring adjustments necessary for comfort. If I start having more pain I have the option of the Mead light springs, which are a bit stiffer than the Adams standard springs and maybe a bit less stiff than the 2-3 standard springs.

Anyway, judging from your photo, Steve, I'm guessing such constraints are not part of your life yet, so the "heavier is better" concept is good. I spent 23 years working a full-time day job in computers after my band career, and perhaps if I had been playing more regularly during that time I would not have the finger pain at all now. Consider yourself warned!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'll second this - I put a set of the medium springs in my Besson, and things are immediately clearer than the light springs it was shipped with.

With the "regular" mead springs, my hands hurt like yours, Dave. The medium springs seem to be the right balance for me.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

4. Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    With the "regular" mead springs, my hands hurt like yours, Dave. The medium springs seem to be the right balance for me.
    I will +1 this as well when I had my 2051. I use the medium Mead Springs on my Sterling Virtuoso as well.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

+1 regular mead springs hurt my hand
    +1 light mead springs work perfectly in Adams E3 and have no need to try the medium
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

I just wanted to chime in and say that the light mead springs are indeed slightly heavier than the stock springs that came in my Q41, so if anyone out there wants something just a tad heavier, but not too heavy, the lights work very well also!
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+