Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Band or Orchestra Pieces that Require a Euphonium Mute

1. Wind Band: I remember needing a cup mute for a short section of Felicia Sandler's "Rose the Riveter" (I think the tubas also needed cup mutes too!)

In Donald Hunsberger's Star Wars Trilogy arrangement, I believe there's a brief straight mute section at the end of movement IV (Yoda's theme), during the transition into the final movement.

Orchestra: Richard Strauss' Ein Heldenleben and Don Quixote have several sections that require a straight mute in the tenor tuba part.
    Last edited by Fujiifilm; 12-26-2023 at 02:41 PM.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

As I am improve playing contemporary Christian music in church, nothing in the chord sheet requires a mute for my euph, or any other horn. I do have a straight, cup, and Wawa mutes for my trumpet, only use them when messing around during practice. Usually my trumpet is used for the lively upbeat songs where volume is desired by the leader. I have a straight mute for my (tenor) trombone, used occasionally just to quiet it down when everything is really toned down. I can pull the euph sound back easier than I can the ‘bone. Our drummer is primarily a tuba player and we were recently discussing mutes for euphs and tubas. My take was, for my playing a euph mute would be a waste of money. He observed he has actually seen water bottles used as euph mutes, and as far as tuba he only ever needed a mute once, and used a carpet sample as a mute!

3. This video of Peter Graham's "Triumph of Time" for brass band shows cup mutes in use:
    https://www.dwerden.com/forum/showth...879#post170879

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12