Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Brass Band megathread

Add my vote for the Howard Snell over the Bill Himes Elsa's Procession. Not even close.
    --
    Barry

I've had 2 rehearsals with the Winona (MN) Brass Band on 1st Baritone. What an experience! I'm so glad I was able to get into this group. I'll post our repertoire for 1st concert tonight once I get home.
    My Arsenal:
    Eastman EBH-311S Baritone Horn - Wick 6BS
    Shires SEUBRVO Bravo Euphonium - Shires 5D
    King 3BG - Wick 7CS
    King 3B+F - Bach 5G
    Conn 62H with Butler CF slide - Wick 2AL
    Besson 788 3/4 Tuba - Helleberg 7B

Winona Brass Band
    La Crosse Concert Band
    Westby City Band

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Add my vote for the Howard Snell over the Bill Himes Elsa's Procession. Not even close.
    Noooooooooo. I sooooooo disagree.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, been a while since I wrote about my interest in a possible position with the Brass Band of Central Florida. I decided to pass on that, even though the MD there had encouraged me to "come on down". But, on Monday I sat in on a rehearsal with the Celebration Brass Band (CBB) in The Villages which is in central Florida and right near me (5 miles). The newly installed conductor/MD is none other than Lew Buckley, who was the director of The United States Coast Guard Band (Dave's old stomping grounds) for 29 years. Margie Craver plays in this group for those of you who know/knew her and her husband Neil.

It seems there is going to be an open euphonium position in the very near future due to health issues. I think this group, especially with Lew on the podium, is going to become a pretty darn good brass band. So, I am very interested in playing with them.

And guess who else was there at the rehearsal? Derick Kane, who was the euphonium soloist with the Salvation Army's International Staff Band for about 40 years. He was in the area at some other musical event, I think some kind of camp or recital or something, and one of the CCB's trombone players asked him to come sit in with the band. So, I got to meet him and chat a bit. What a nice fellow, and a super player. He also conducted one of the pieces we played, which I can't remember the title of. That's me, sharp as a tack!

So, here's hoping that I work my way into this group eventually. Their rehearsal schedule and concert schedule and time off in the summer suits Linda and me just fine. I would have to leave the Kingdom of the Sun Concert Band in Ocala because they rehearse on the same night. But I can stay in the KOS brass quintet, which is good.

To me, there is really no other music that is as fun to play and that can be as hard to play as Brass Band music.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Derek Kane!!! He is/was one of my euph idols growing up. Got to meet him for the 1st time 30yrs ago when the NYSB toured the UK.
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by anadmai View Post
    Derek Kane!!! He is/was one of my euph idols growing up. Got to meet him for the 1st time 30yrs ago when the NYSB toured the UK.
    He is a mighty nice person and really good euphonium player.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

I am two rehearsals into playing with the Joyous Brass on first baritone. Jake Guilbo of San Francisco Brass Band clued me into Joyous Brass and the possibility of landing a spot with them. They practice at the same music store where one of the community bands I belong to practices on a different night. It's conducted by Mike Welling, who's been with the band for 50 years, I believe. I originally approached him to join the euphonium section, naively not knowing how crucial this section of brass banding is and how difficult it is to get a seat in the section. Mike suggested I consider Baritone and offered me a 1st Baritone position without ever having heard me play. I sit beside the incredibly talented first baritone player Alissa Prince. She's an opera performance major (voice) at Sac State and a wonderful band mate. She and many others in the band, including Mike and Alissa's husband Daniel, have a Salvation Army band background and continue to play in a Sacramento-based Salvation Army band. Over this past summer, I leaned to play treble clef on a rental Eastman baritone horn. I continue to use the horn as I await delivery of my Yamaha YBH-831S baritone horn (back ordered). We're one rehearsal away from my first concert with the group; we'll be playing Ein Feste Burg, Montreal Citadel, In His Light, Deep River, Rhapsody for Bass Trombone, Tribute to Frank Sinatra, Sweet Caroline, Hymn to the Fallen, He Leadeth Me (*vocal) and Chassidic Dance (Every Time I Feel the Spirit encore, if needed). I love this group and my first foray into brass banding. I feel fortunate to sit first baritone with them and love the positive vibes emanating from the largely SA-engendered band members.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Montreal Citadel is a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnbone Euph View Post
    I am two rehearsals into playing with the Joyous Brass on first baritone. Jake Guilbo of San Francisco Brass Band clued me into Joyous Brass and the possibility of landing a spot with them. They practice at the same music store where one of the community bands I belong to practices on a different night. It's conducted by Mike Welling, who's been with the band for 50 years, I believe. I originally approached him to join the euphonium section, naively not knowing how crucial this section of brass banding is and how difficult it is to get a seat in the section. Mike suggested I consider Baritone and offered me a 1st Baritone position without ever having heard me play. I sit beside the incredibly talented first baritone player Alissa Prince. She's an opera performance major (voice) at Sac State and a wonderful band mate. She and many others in the band, including Mike and Alissa's husband Daniel, have a Salvation Army band background and continue to play in a Sacramento-based Salvation Army band. Over this past summer, I leaned to play treble clef on a rental Eastman baritone horn. I continue to use the horn as I await delivery of my Yamaha YBH-831S baritone horn (back ordered). We're one rehearsal away from my first concert with the group; we'll be playing Ein Feste Burg, Montreal Citadel, In His Light, Deep River, Rhapsody for Bass Trombone, Tribute to Frank Sinatra, Sweet Caroline, Hymn to the Fallen, He Leadeth Me (*vocal) and Chassidic Dance (Every Time I Feel the Spirit encore, if needed). I love this group and my first foray into brass banding. I feel fortunate to sit first baritone with them and love the positive vibes emanating from the largely SA-engendered band members.
    Very nice, Arnold. Brass Banding is indeed very cool. I am somewhat intrigued regarding your signature block and would love to know more about the Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society and the Ophir Prison Band, i.e., who plays in it (I assume both prisoners and non-prisoners, unless you are writing your posts from the unfortunate side of the wall), where they practice (I guess that is a silly question), who comes to concerts (do they let civilians in?), and just things in general. I think it is pretty neat that there are such things, and music seems to have such a positive outcome for all who touch it. And good for you for doing this.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

John:
    Happy to answer your question about the Ophir Prison Band. First of all, its apocryphal. There actually is a small town in Northern California called Ophir, but no prison there. The band was formed 50 years ago by some miss-behaving music majors at Sacramento State. They came up with the idea of having a faux prison band made up of "inmates" out on furlough (wearing fake ankle monitors) who would march, play difficult but catchy repertoire, and bring a certain amount of the thespian arts into the equation. The conductor, Rufus Whizbang (not his real name) sports a British-style jungle hat with a propeller on top, a fake glasses big nose mustache "disguise" and conducts the band in a long-tails polka dot coat and uses a toilet plunger as his conducting baton. All of the "prisoners" wear cambray shirts with their prison nickname stenciled on back (mine is IQ LMTD), raggedy cutoff jeans, and we attend parades (such as second Saturday open city art venues in Sacramento) and other places playing as we march and usually stopping off in a park near the end of the parade route to offer a full concert. Check out the Web site at ophirprison.com. The quality of the players is high; many were or are band directors; being a member of several community bands, I'd say their overall musical ability tops any other band I've been in, and then there's the slapstick theatre of it all. Check them out on youtube and you'll see what I mean. I just attended rehearsal last night (once a month 3 hour rehearsals) and we're prepping for a second Saturday performance in October and a Mardi Gras celebration in March. We do some complex marching maneuvers during our parades which are not for the faint of heart. It's all great fun but at the same time is a very serious undertaking.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast