Thread: Wessex 4Y review

Wessex 4Y review

Because I am new to the forum, I thought I'd give my thoughts about the Wessex 4Y that I am currently using with my XO euphonium

This is a mouthpiece designed by Dr. Young and fabricated by Wessex. It is a funnel type design with a very open backbore. I first tried the mouthpiece with my Wessex Dolce and while it played nicely, I felt it made the sound too thin/brittle in the high register. Especially from top Bb (treble cleff). On the XO however, it gives a really nice core to the sound, without becoming thin. I feel I can color my sound in a lot of ways. It almost feels like a hybrid between the Schilke and Wick sound. It feels as a size Wick 4 rim diameter, but I am not sure since Wessex doesn't provide the details on their site..

For people looking for a mouthpiece with great core and a very good singing sound, this might be worth trying!

Best,
    NLeuph

Just a quick note that I bought a recent Mack Brass (2019) second hand. Its mouthpiece also seems like a funnel design with an open backbore. It would be nice to have someone AB a Schilke, Wick, Wessex, and then generic Schiller/Mack/Jinbao/etc. I don't have any other mouthpieces with me, but am fairly happy with this for now. Actually, I'd thought of buying a Jupiter mouthpiece, since I have several 6.5 small shanks and would like to try a few large shanks.