Thread: Used Besson 765 vs New Besson BE165-2?

Used Besson 765 vs New Besson BE165-2?

Hi all,

I am a student looking for a horn to play in college. With my budget, I've narrowed my options down to a used Besson 765 or a new Besson 165. The used 765 has some dents but overall seems clean and the seller says it still plays beautifully. It is listed for $1200 but I may be able to bid a bit lower to save some more money. It is laquered brass and comes with a hard case but no mouthpiece. The new Besson is selling for around $1800, which I know is a great deal for a new instrument but is still a bit high for my price range. It is silver-plated and comes with a soft case (I'd need to buy a hard case) and a mouthpiece. I also live in a very rural area so I cannot buy an instrument in person, I have to buy online, and I cannot try the instruments before buying.

I'm not majoring in music but I am planning to minor in music performance and to be heavily involved in my college's music ensembles, such as pep band, community band, wind symphony, etc... Any input as to which horn I should buy? I'm really torn here...I'd love the new Besson but I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

If you have any advice as to which one to buy, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I can't quite put together everything you set as the premise. A new 165 should be around $3k as far as I can tell. $1800 would be a remarkable bargain if it is new, but maybe it's a close out or something??

Both Besson models are non compensating. That is fine for typical concert band work - a small percentage of pieces might call for a low Eb (concert pitch, F in treble), and that note is a bit dastardly on a non-comp horn. Most other low notes are obtainable, although with fingerings that are not as convenient as with a compensating model.

An sad truth is that a used top- brand compensating euphonium is seldom seen in your price range. A new Wessex (in lacquer) is listed at $1,695. That is the only proven-quality compensating euphonium that is in range, pricewise. It is a good horn and is well supported. I just played one last month and it was very comfortable.

The Doubler by Austin Custom Brass is in the same range of quality, but right now is a bit higher in price.

An option might be here, in this used Mack Brass compensating euphonium. At less than $1k it could be a very good value for you. Mack is not quite at the level of Wessex/ACB, but they are well regarded and play nicely:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314014834761
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    An option might be here, in this used Mack Brass compensating euphonium. At less than $1k it could be a very good value for you. Mack is not quite at the level of Wessex/ACB, but they are well regarded and play nicely:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314014834761

I wanted to sound a note of caution with this particular Ebay offer. The seller has no selling or buying history; as in zero pieces moved through Ebay. Their profile is newly created (May 28th of this year.) S/he has also not responded to multiple emails that I have sent him/her through Ebay's Contact the Seller mechanism. Everything may be fine, but it is starting to smell funny. So proceed with care.

- Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 06-13-2022 at 09:56 AM.
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    I wanted to sound a note of caution with this particular Ebay offer. The seller has no selling or buying history; as in zero pieces moved through Ebay. Their profile is newly created (May 28th of this year.) S/he has also not responded to multiple emails that I have sent him/her through Ebay's Contact the Seller mechanism. Everything may be fine, but it is starting to smell funny. So proceed with care.

- Sara
    Thanks, Sara. A seller that does not respond to requests for information would cause me concern as well! eBay has protections, but I'd rather not have to test them.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    $1800 would be a remarkable bargain if it is new, but maybe it's a close out or something??

I've found an ebay listing for a Besson 165-2 for about the price mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12503912608...MAAOSw-x1hry-H

If you scour around the internet, you can find many listings for this instrument at very similar prices.