Thread: Dave Werden: Full Recital from GPRTEC, May, 2022

Dave Werden: Full Recital from GPRTEC, May, 2022

Here is my entire recital in one video! Notes are below the video:

This recital is dedicated to the memory of Henry Charles Smith (1931-2021)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry Charles Smith SM.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	9174Henry was well-known to me as I began my professional life. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dave and Henry SM.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	9173His recordings represented the epitome of what I wanted to from my own playing
    - a performance that always puts the needs of the music first. During my career I was blessed to hear him from the audience as he performed on euphonium and also as he conducted the Minnesota Orchestra. He was also generous with his time as he gave me lessons whenever I could be in the Minneapolis area. Each lesson would end with me sight-reading
    songs while he accompanied me on piano. This helped to increase my appreciation for the simple art of performing songs.
    In 2019 he asked me to help get the Forsberg Serenade published with the orchestra accompaniment as well as with a newly-created piano accompaniment. He was quite excited about this project, feeling that the Serenade was playable by college players and advanced high school players. Its public availability would enable players to work on quality music that did not demand a virtuoso player.

“Hacia Belén va una burra” (Spanish folk song)
    This song is often heard around Christmas and has a subtitle of "A Donkey Is Going to Bethlehem." I first heard it on a Christmas album by the French singer Mireille Mathieu. It has such joyous energy that I have wanted to arrange it for some time. This book seemed like the perfect place for it to live.

“Theme from Sonata in A Major” (D.959) by Schubert
    This is one of Schubert's last works before his death. The theme here is from the final movement (Rondo). It is an attractive melody, which gained the attention of the crew creating the sitcom "Wings" in 1990. They based the introduction to the show on this theme. The piano part in my arrangement is excerpted from the original without many changes. The triplet section of the piano sonata adds a nice bit of extra interest beneath the second theme statement in the euphonium part, leaving the euphoniumist free to focus on the lovely melody.

“Homing” by Teresa Del Riego
    Ms. Riego was born in London and wrote this song in 1917. I am not sure how to categorize my initial impressions of the song, but it was very appealing to me. While not difficult technically, it offers a great deal of opportunity for expression and dynamic range. This song, and the previous two songs, are part of my new “International Songbook for Euphonium” (19 songs from 7 countries).

“Serenade for Euphonium” (Opus 21) by Charles Forsberg
    As I mentioned, this piece fits the concept expressed by Mr. Smith. It was commissioned and performed by him. I recorded from radio Mr. Smith’s 1979 premier with the Minnesota Orchestra. I used it as a model in preparing for this recital (even though our playing styles are different and there are a few differences in the solo and accompaniment). This is the PREMIER of the piano version. The movements are: I. Poetica Expressivo, II. Nocturne, III. Allegro Agitato - Andante Sostenuto Cantabile, and IV. Allegro Assai Spiritoso.
    This Serenade is available from Cimarron as well: https://www.cimarronmusic.com/99g-1
    Last edited by davewerden; 06-09-2022 at 08:15 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Just now listened. Bravo! Well done David.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks, John! It was a bit of work to get ready, but now that I'm retired, I am enjoying having the option of putting in the necessary time.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Very well done sir! Excellent!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks, Rick!

Trivia:
    One unseen aspect I'm especially proud of: timing! Because the recitals were all 1 hour, I had to plan for 25 minutes max (with time allowed for changing artists and moving the audience out at the end). I used a spreadsheet I built years ago to calculate my timing for pieces, applause, time to get ready for the next piece, etc. That came out to 23 minutes. Then a week or two ahead, I did a dry run in my basement, where I imagined walking out on stage and bowing, played each piece, and "took a bow" in between, and did the necessary water emptying and changing sheet music. That came out to 23-1/2 minutes. When I finally got the unedited video of the whole recital run, it was 23:35. Not THAT is an accomplishment!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Beautiful tone, excellent accompanist; very well recorded. Great job on the planning and timing of the entire program, too.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Congratulations on a wonderful recital Dave, I enjoyed it very much. One of the things I was thinking about as I listened was this quote from a post you made regarding the YouTube playlist of the songs from your international songbook:

"None were prepared to true performance standards. I'm doing 3 of these on my recitals at the GPRTEC in May, and you can bet I'll be practicing them more to get the fine points and subtleties."

I just wanted to say I think you did very nicely on the fine points and subtleties! Your articulation, phrasing, dynamics, and intonation were very impressive and will be a good inspiration when I practice these tunes from the book!

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    "None were prepared to true performance standards. I'm doing 3 of these on my recitals at the GPRTEC in May, and you can bet I'll be practicing them more to get the fine points and subtleties."

I just wanted to say I think you did very nicely on the fine points and subtleties! Your articulation, phrasing, dynamics, and intonation were very impressive and will be a good inspiration when I practice these tunes from the book!
    Thanks for your kind remarks! Regarding my quote, I find that my music preparation is never really over, I suppose. The samples recorded for the playlist were "good enough" for that purpose, but I knew I wanted them better for the recital. In a near-term sense, I had gotten them as ready as possible in the time I had. And, frankly, I was not making much improvement in interpretation as I practiced them during that last week. But over the years I have learned that when I get pieces out for a new look, like if I were to play some of these for a recital this fall, I may find new things to bring out, or in some cases reverse my thinking on some facets.

The risk is that I'll find "too much" and overdo the expression on a phrase that should be simple sounding for musical reasons. So much to learn yet!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)