Thread: Bell guard

Bell guard

Hi,
    I'm wondering if there's a guard out there to protect the lower section of the bell like what Mr. Werden used to use? I'm playing with a German Brass Band and there's a metal buckle on the liederhausen that comes in contact with my euphonium.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Brian
    Brian Hunter
    Willson 2900
    Bowman BB1EU

there is a company that makes them. The contact is Tom Black<support@lscoguard.zohodesk.com>

I have a Prestige 2052 and got complete protection for the horn. No belt is going to get my horn!!!

The problem is, they are backlogged

Here are parts

Besson 967, 2052 Euphonium Valve Section Guard - Black 18.95
    Besson 967, 2052 Euphonium Valve Section Guard - Brown 18.95

Besson BE2052 Euphonium Valve Section Guard - Black 18.95
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Valve Section Guard - Brown 18.95
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Right Hand Bar Guard - Black 18.95
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Right Hand Bar Guard - Brown 18.95
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium 3rd Valve Slide Guard - Black 18.95
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium 3rd Valve Slide Guard - Brown 18.95
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Outside Bottom Guard - Black 35.08
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Outside Bottom Guard - Brown 35.08
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Bell Tube Guard - Black 25.28
    Besson BE2052 Euphonium Bell Tube Guard - Brown 25.28

Thanks so much!

i have tried to get a new set of the Besson guards to use on my Conn 25i for months (he used to custom make them, but those days seem to be over). When COVID hit, the owner, Larry Black lost employees and was backlogged. He was not even taking orders. I guess his son took over and the son responded to me a month ago saying he would place an order for me, but it would be a while. Just wanted you to know. I can find no one else who makes them. I think there were once called Leather Specialties.

Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    i have tried to get a new set of the Besson guards to use on my Conn 25i for months (he used to custom make them, but those days seem to be over). When COVID hit, the owner, Larry Black lost employees and was backlogged. He was not even taking orders. I guess his son took over and the son responded to me a month ago saying he would place an order for me, but it would be a while. Just wanted you to know. I can find no one else who makes them. I think there were once called Leather Specialties.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to figure something out - maybe find a way to cover the buckle.
    I'll have to look through the older posts on the forum again about making your own.
    Thanks!

it would not hurt to contact the person. If he is going to make a set for me, should not be a big issue to make two at one time. They would use the same pattern This would provide you a fallback position

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Hi,
    . . . liederhausen . .
    That word, if it were actually a word (and in German you can paste just about anything together into a new word), is charmingly appropriate in the context of this forum

It's pretty easy to fashion your own bow guard.
    If you've a scrap of thin leather (or run by a garage sale or Goodwill & pick up a raggedy ol' used leather garment), then punch holes in the edges and lace it up.
    The tannins can tarnish, so consider lining the leather with a piece of clean cotton cut to size - maybe an old dishcloth. No need to secure it to the leather or get fancy - just make sure it's between the leather and your horn.
    The variable bow size makes the sizing tricky, so trim the cotton cloth to fit, then use that as a template to cut the leather.
    Scissors will cut thin leather easily and precisely, but to strengthen the lacing edges, fold the leather over before punching the holes. Variable-size leather hole punches are cheap on Amazon or your local craft store.
    Last edited by tokuno; 06-05-2022 at 10:34 AM.