Thread: Two Bugles

1. Two Bugles

Just for fun, I wanted to share a pair of bugles I have!

The top is a silver plated DEG Dynasty euphonium bugle, built by Willson in the early 1980s. Has 2 piston valves, and interestingly it takes a medium/euro shank mouthpiece.

The bottom is a chrome plated F.E. Olds Ultratone bass baritone bugle from the early 1970s. Has 1 piston and 1rotary valve, and takes a small shank mouthpiece. This particular instrument once belonged to the Khiva Shriners Drum Corps, with the name spray painted on the case.

Both are pitched in the key of G, with the 1st valve lowering the pitch by a wholestep, and the 2nd valve lowering a halfstep. Since they only have 2 valves, they aren't fully chromatic, so you start losing notes towards the bottom of the bass clef staff.

The third photo shows the bugles in comparison to my Willson 2900.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bugle-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	9154 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bugle-2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	9155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bugle-3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	9156
    Last edited by Fujiifilm; 06-03-2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Thanks for sharing these! Those are really cool looking horns and seem to be in nice shape. How often do you play them?

I love Drum Corps International and will never forget when I randomly stumbled upon the DCI finals broadcast in 2000 the summer before I started high school. At the age of 14 it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen haha! Most of the drum corps were still playing G bugles in 2000 and I really love that sound.

That bottom bugle (F.E Olds) looks a lot like the horn I played in the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps in ‘66, ‘67 while at Kessler AFB. Brings back some memories. Thanks for sharing.

Keesler Blue Knights:
    https://keeslerblueknights.com/index.html
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

4. Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    Thanks for sharing these! Those are really cool looking horns and seem to be in nice shape. How often do you play them?

I love Drum Corps International and will never forget when I randomly stumbled upon the DCI finals broadcast in 2000 the summer before I started high school. At the age of 14 it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen haha! Most of the drum corps were still playing G bugles in 2000 and I really love that sound.
    Honestly outside of at-home, I don't use them that often. I brought the Olds to a tuba christmas a few years back, which was a lot of fun! Hoping to do the same thing this year.

They're definitely fun instruments to play, especially having marched DCI for 2 years, though that was long after the switch away from G bugles!
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)