X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sara Hood
    • Mar 2017

Conch shell

Not exactly an "other brass instrument" but I figured it was close enough. I just got back from a trip where I blew on a conch shell. I figured that the techniques I use as a brass player would carry over to the shell and make it function like a "natural horn" (no valves). I could not get the shell to blow anything but its own fundamental. That part was not too hard. I also tried blowing faster or slower, and then with a firmer or looser embouchure and had no luck. I was able to bend the sound a bit by using cupping techniques with the shell's main opening (the bell, as it were). I thought that I would be able to get the fundamental, a fifth above that, and then the octave. I only had 60 seconds or so, as it was borrowed from the person trying to sell me the shell. I did not want to take too long as I did not intend to make a purchase. I had a blast trying though (grin)!

I wonder if it was my inexperience/lack of ability with the instrument (the conch), or if shell horns are not capable to doing more than just their one note. If I had spent more time, would I have been able to get a wider range of sound out of it?

Anyone else in the group ever play a conch? What kind of results can you get?

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Variety can be fun and interesting! I've never played one, but there are YouTube videos on how to play a conch shell. You might try there. Let us know how it goes!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Sara Hood
      • Mar 2017

I was not trying to learn how to play the conch. I just wanted to see what I could make happen with my chops as they were. I thought I knew what to expect and how to make it happen as a baritone player. I did not get the immediate gratification I wanted, but did have fun getting the opportunity to try (grin).

But to follow up and put something out there for anyone who is also interested and come behind me, I will put a few links out there. I found two folks who seem to be YouTube's big voices on the subject of conch playing. The first one has a short series of three videos and seems to think he is God's gift to conch playing and horn playing in general. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpbN01IsYg He uses a different hand cupping technique than I thought to use, but by doing it, he gets about a full octave worth of notes (not just the partials). And here is the guy he seems bent on calling out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuq6prZHoA

- Sara
      Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

Working...
      X