Thread: Conch shell

Cool Conch shell

Not exactly an "other brass instrument" but I figured it was close enough. I just got back from a trip where I blew on a conch shell. I figured that the techniques I use as a brass player would carry over to the shell and make it function like a "natural horn" (no valves). I could not get the shell to blow anything but its own fundamental. That part was not too hard. I also tried blowing faster or slower, and then with a firmer or looser embouchure and had no luck. I was able to bend the sound a bit by using cupping techniques with the shell's main opening (the bell, as it were). I thought that I would be able to get the fundamental, a fifth above that, and then the octave. I only had 60 seconds or so, as it was borrowed from the person trying to sell me the shell. I did not want to take too long as I did not intend to make a purchase. I had a blast trying though (grin)!

I wonder if it was my inexperience/lack of ability with the instrument (the conch), or if shell horns are not capable to doing more than just their one note. If I had spent more time, would I have been able to get a wider range of sound out of it?

Anyone else in the group ever play a conch? What kind of results can you get?

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Variety can be fun and interesting! I've never played one, but there are YouTube videos on how to play a conch shell. You might try there. Let us know how it goes!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I was not trying to learn how to play the conch. I just wanted to see what I could make happen with my chops as they were. I thought I knew what to expect and how to make it happen as a baritone player. I did not get the immediate gratification I wanted, but did have fun getting the opportunity to try (grin).

But to follow up and put something out there for anyone who is also interested and come behind me, I will put a few links out there. I found two folks who seem to be YouTube's big voices on the subject of conch playing. The first one has a short series of three videos and seems to think he is God's gift to conch playing and horn playing in general. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpbN01IsYg He uses a different hand cupping technique than I thought to use, but by doing it, he gets about a full octave worth of notes (not just the partials). And here is the guy he seems bent on calling out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuq6prZHoA

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240