Thread: HBC Becomes ABC - Nice Bit of Innovating

HBC Becomes ABC - Nice Bit of Innovating

I'm testing a new version of the heavy bottom cap for my 4th valve from the clever folks at HBC. This new version offers 4 different weight options in ONE package! Clever idea, and here is a teaser video showing the cap. I'll post my review once I finish testing, but my initial response is very favorable!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I bought one of these for my Adams and can't wait for it to arrive. I was very impressed with the Ray Farr HBC for the Prestige I had for a hot minute. Being able to dial in the sound with weight seems like a no brainer.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Here is the math! There are 4 pieces. The top piece is necessary, because it has the threads to mate with the horn, and it can be used alone. If you want another piece added, it HAS to be the bottom piece, because that has the threaded post that ties things together. The middle two can be added..one or both.

Top: 56 grams

Bottom: 58 grams

Middle: 43 each.

Your choices for the ABC are:

Top only: 56 grams
    Top and bottom: 114 grams
    Top, bottom, and 1 middle: 157 grams
    All 4 pieces: 200 grams

Others in my collection:

Light (standard) Adams 4th valve cap: 14 grams

Heavy Adams cap: 87 grams

Sterling heavy cap: 126 grams

HBC medium cap: 101 grams

HBC heavy: 189 grams
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Ok perfect - I had guessed based on holding it the Adams HBC was significantly lighter than the Ray Farr HBC so to see the actual weights makes me feel better about the purchase! And between Adams light, heavy, and all the HBC combos you can really pick your poison from 14 - 200 grams.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Here is a little more photo-info. I show the 4 pieces "exploded" and also each of the 4 options installed on my horn. (Click to expand)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC Exploded.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	9130

The following show the cap options, in the same order as I described them above (click to expand):

Name:	ABC Top Piece.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	952.9 KB 
ID:	9131 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC Top-Bottom.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	9132 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC Top-MId-Bottom.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	9133 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC Top-MId-Mid-Bottom.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	9134

At some point I will produce a video that compares some of the options, but in the meantime, here is a graphic that tells a little story. I changed Audacity's colors to help make this clear. This is my first excerpt from the video I'm working on. The dark blue shows the peak "measured" level (as far as I understand it). Normally there is an inner part that is lighter blue. Audacity says: "The light blue part of the waveform displays the average RMS (Root Mean Square) value for the same group of samples. This is a rough guide to how loud this area might sound, but there is no way to extract or use this RMS part of the waveform separately."

I re-colored the light-blue area to red. Then I overlayed a different sample with yellow. Red is from the ABC full cap, and yellow is from the standard Adams cap. FYI, the dark blue areas are identical visually. The difference between red and yellow shows the added sound from the ABC.

Name:	ABC Waveform.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	9135

Obviously the difference is small, but it is still audible. However, a larger difference to me is the way the horn plays. It feels more solid with the ABC cap.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)