Thread: New Intonation Charts

New Intonation Charts

I just came back from a conference and was able to do some new tuning runs. You will find new/updated info for:

Adams E1
    Adams E2
    Adams E3
    Besson 2052-2
    Eastman 826

They are all here:

http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/index.cfm
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

For what it's worth, I'll put here the pitch graph of my 2007 Prestige, obtained in the same way as described by Dave. (mouthpiece K&G 3D +). As you can see, there are some high notes, especially the partial 6th, which can be easily adjusted with the trigger and practically no low notes (except for the central A of only 5 cents easily corrected with the lip). Compared to Dave's it's quite different.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grafico intonazione prestige.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	9118
    Last edited by franz; 05-24-2022 at 04:17 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Thanks for the 2052 comparison! Results will vary with the player and mouthpiece, of course. I should have mentioned that the room these horns were in was pretty cold, which could also affect things. My process includes warming up the horn and getting a little bit used to it before I start charting, but it could still have an effect. However, the graph from the 2051 has some similar characteristics, and that was made 8 years ago in a comfortable room.

It's also possible that the 2007 production is different from today's. I noticed the Adams E1 is different from my former E1 (made in 2012). I'm starting now to note the year on that page as I get newer readings.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Thanks for the 2052 comparison! Results will vary with the player and mouthpiece, of course. I should have mentioned that the room these horns were in was pretty cold, which could also affect things. My process includes warming up the horn and getting a little bit used to it before I start charting, but it could still have an effect. However, the graph from the 2051 has some similar characteristics, and that was made 8 years ago in a comfortable room.

It's also possible that the 2007 production is different from today's. I noticed the Adams E1 is different from my former E1 (made in 2012). I'm starting now to note the year on that page as I get newer readings.
    That 2052-2 chart is pretty consistent with what my horn does, with the exception of the concert G.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    That 2052-2 chart is pretty consistent with what my horn does, with the exception of the concert G.
    FYI, according to my notes I used 3rd for the concert G.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Ah, that makes sense!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Idem.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

This is the pitch graph of my 1974 Besson New Standard, obtained with pitch A = 442, main slide extracted of 13 mm and 1th slide of 10 mm. The notes E 5th staff and F above the staff have been obtained with 1-2-3 and 1-3 respectively, the dashed line indicates the pitch with the normal positions 2 and 0. ( Modified K&G T3D mouthpiece)

Attachment 9153
    Last edited by franz; 06-03-2022 at 08:48 AM.

franz,

Thanks for the graph of your NS. I had one that was a couple years older than yours, and it tuned easily to A440. Was yours built in high pitch? Just curious.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

franz,

Thanks for the graph of your NS. I had one that was a couple years older than yours, and it tuned easily to A440. Was yours built in high pitch? Just curious.
    Frankly, I don't know. Now the air temperature is around 25 degrees celsius, I got the graph after a good half hour - 3/4 hour of warming up. I tune with A = 442 because it is the pitch with which we tune the band. The 13mm extraction of the main slide seems to me a fairly normal size, considering the fact that I used a modified K&G T3D mouthpiece (suitable for trombone) (wider cup and deep V profile) whose shank fits into the receiver for 35mm.