Sponsor Banner

Collapse

New Mercer & Barker Euphonium Mouthpiece!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheJH
    • Dec 2014

It also depends on the instrument. When I play my 4AL or SM4 on my Sovereign, it's a lot easier to push the horn to the point it starts soaring over the band than when I use those same mouthpieces on my Willson 2960. So if I were to need to play over the band in a lot of pieces when I use the Willson, I would probably look for a slightly shallower mouthpiece so it doesn't tire me out as quickly.

Anyway, good to hear there are more options in the 51-size range.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• Jharris
      • Jun 2021

Having just bought a MB mouthpiece, I will offer my amateur opinion…

I had developed a buzz which weirdly got louder and more apparent with my new GVL Geneva and it was messing my embouchure up double playing entries and other odd things in the middle range, and it was suggested that an MB mouthpiece with the flattest rim would help creating the seal I needed…

The MB4F feels like a sm3 on the face but a sm4 diameter…

The buzz has disappeared, but obviously I now need to adjust to the mouthpiece but I am hitting super As with relative easy, it’s not hungry for air so getting through phrases is easier than before…

I am very pleased because it solves a problem that I actually thought was going to end my playing all together…

Side note: the smaller MB5 sounds just as good tone wise, apparently Glynn Williams is playing on that size currently and with the size of the sound it created I am not surprised, just too much of a leap for me to go from a 3 down to a 5…

Comment

• mbrooke
        • Jan 2006

I have been trying out the MB Solo model for about 2 weeks. i normally use a 51D or a Parker 51D Lance LaDuke model. Unfortunatley, I find the MB Solo's rim to be very uncomfortable. Tone wise, I find the 51D models give bit smaller sound, but smoother sound — possibly because of their more rounded cups.

Mike

Comment

• BrianH
          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by BrandonJones View Post
          Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and plague-free!

I wanted to let you all know that we have officially launched what I believe will be a game-changer for euphonium players in the Schilke 51D/Griego BB1 camp… and more, honestly. The MB51 is a brand new release that was many, many months of R&D and testing in the making. The rim is rounded and very comfortable, but the inner bite is quite sharp farther down… so you don’t feel it cut into your face. It’s the comfort of a round rim with the clarity of a sharp/flat one. The cup diameter is 25.50 (for reference the Schilke 51D is 25.55 and the BB1 is 25.50) with a bore size of .283. It is free feeling but retains the center and true euphonium core. It does not feel tight to play or loose. The combo is just right. There’s a standard model with the very deep cup that works PERFECTLY for wind band and a “solo” model with a 2mm shallower cup that adds sparkle and brilliance to the sound making it incredibly easy to cut over an ensemble for solo work and high range bombs, haha! I seriously couldn’t be happier with them. They make large AND medium shank in virtually any finish you’d like… including stainless steel. Please check them out. I literally could not be happier with mine.
          Hi, on the website it says the cup is 25.00 mm
          Brian Hunter
          Willson 2900
          Bowman BB1EU

Comment

• BrandonJones
            • Feb 2008

Hi Brian,

Thanks for noticing that! I have sent a message to the Mercer and Barker US website folks to correct it on their end. It is listed correctly on the main Mercer and Barker website, found here: https://mercerandbarker.com/product-category/euphonium/

Thanks for the catch!
            Brandon Jones
            Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
            bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• BrandonJones
              • Feb 2008

It has now been corrected/updated on the US website as well. Here's a link: https://mercerandbarker.us/product-category/euphonium/

Again, thanks for noticing that!
              Brandon Jones
              bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• iMav
                • May 2011

I find the 51D to be too small, and currently really enjoy my SM4U (which I have had for about 10 years). Which M&B euphonium mouthpieces would be good for me to give a try? (getting a new horn soon, and will definitely be looking at a few different combinations)
                Groups
                Valley City Community Band
                Valley City State University Concert Band
                2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• iMav
                  • May 2011

So, where can one source these mouthpieces?? (haven't found an online retailer that carries them.)

Can someone point me in the right direction??
                  Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• BrandonJones
                    • Feb 2008

Larry,

I replied to your email a few minutes ago, but here is the link:

https://mercerandbarker.us/product-category/euphonium/

Hope that helps!
                    Brandon Jones
                    bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• iMav
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by BrandonJones View Post
                      I replied to your email a few minutes ago, but here is the link:
                      https://mercerandbarker.us/product-category/euphonium/
                      Thanks for the help, Brandon! I ordered both the MB51 and the Solo51. Looking forward to trying them out.
                      Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• BrandonJones
                        • Feb 2008

Great! I hope you enjoy them! Congrats on the new Adams E3, by the way! They are very well-made and effortless instruments, indeed!
                        Brandon Jones
                        bmjones82@gmail.com

Comment

• euphlight
                          • May 2016

I just looked at the prices. I am from Canada. Factoring in the exchange rate, it would be a fair bit cheaper for me to get it through the UK site versus the US it minus possibly shipping costs. Is there a reason for the almost $90 price difference? I am considering getting the Solo 51M. I am exploring getting a slight downsize mouthpiece from my current mouthpiece, Dennis Wick 4M but without losing too much oomph in the lower register. I occasionally have to help out the tuba player in my Community Band . I just don't have enough stamina trying to project when needed with my Dennis Wick 4M with my Community Band for our 2 hour rehearsals

Comment

• iMav
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by euphlight View Post
                            I just looked at the prices. I am from Canada. Factoring in the exchange rate, it would be a fair bit cheaper for me to get it through the UK site versus the US it minus possibly shipping costs. Is there a reason for the almost $90 price difference? I am considering getting the Solo 51M. I am exploring getting a slight downsize mouthpiece from my current mouthpiece, Dennis Wick 4M but without losing too much oomph in the lower register. I occasionally have to help out the tuba player in my Community Band . I just don't have enough stamina trying to project when needed with my Dennis Wick 4M with my Community Band for our 2 hour rehearsals
                            ive got both the MB51 and the Solo51 available for sale. (Used less than an hour each.)

Let me know if you are interested and we can work out pricing and shipping from here (US/North Dakota).
                            Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• euphlight
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by iMav View Post
                              ive got both the MB51 and the Solo51 available for sale. (Used less than an hour each.)

Let me know if you are interested and we can work out pricing and shipping from here (US/North Dakota).
                              My Besson takes the medium shank. Thanks for letting me know. I ordered the Solo 51M on Monday from the UK. It worked out $230 or so Canadian. I should have the mouthpiece late next week.

Comment

• mbrooke
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by euphlight View Post
                                I have the MB 51 Solo in medium shank. I find it harder to play than a Wick 4. The cup is deeper and the rim is very rounded which makes it feels larger than a 51D. I had listed for sale a few weeks ago.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X