Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Mercer & Barker Euphonium Mouthpiece!

Great! I hope you enjoy them! Congrats on the new Adams E3, by the way! They are very well-made and effortless instruments, indeed!
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

I just looked at the prices. I am from Canada. Factoring in the exchange rate, it would be a fair bit cheaper for me to get it through the UK site versus the US it minus possibly shipping costs. Is there a reason for the almost $90 price difference? I am considering getting the Solo 51M. I am exploring getting a slight downsize mouthpiece from my current mouthpiece, Dennis Wick 4M but without losing too much oomph in the lower register. I occasionally have to help out the tuba player in my Community Band . I just don't have enough stamina trying to project when needed with my Dennis Wick 4M with my Community Band for our 2 hour rehearsals

Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    I just looked at the prices. I am from Canada. Factoring in the exchange rate, it would be a fair bit cheaper for me to get it through the UK site versus the US it minus possibly shipping costs. Is there a reason for the almost $90 price difference? I am considering getting the Solo 51M. I am exploring getting a slight downsize mouthpiece from my current mouthpiece, Dennis Wick 4M but without losing too much oomph in the lower register. I occasionally have to help out the tuba player in my Community Band . I just don't have enough stamina trying to project when needed with my Dennis Wick 4M with my Community Band for our 2 hour rehearsals
    ive got both the MB51 and the Solo51 available for sale. (Used less than an hour each.)

Let me know if you are interested and we can work out pricing and shipping from here (US/North Dakota).
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    ive got both the MB51 and the Solo51 available for sale. (Used less than an hour each.)

Let me know if you are interested and we can work out pricing and shipping from here (US/North Dakota).
    My Besson takes the medium shank. Thanks for letting me know. I ordered the Solo 51M on Monday from the UK. It worked out $230 or so Canadian. I should have the mouthpiece late next week.

Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    I have the MB 51 Solo in medium shank. I find it harder to play than a Wick 4. The cup is deeper and the rim is very rounded which makes it feels larger than a 51D. I had listed for sale a few weeks ago.

Mike

My mouthpiece just arrived. It took a week and a bit to get here, maybe thanks to where I live and Canada Post is slow in general. Initial thoughts after a quick practice of 40 minutes. I have to use my Silent Brass Mute as I live an apartment so it will be a bit different compare to when I get to play open later soon. This would be comparing it my Denis Wick 4M.

The shank is a bit bigger. The cup is a bit deeper and rounder then the Denis Wick 4M yet the bore is that of a Shilke 51D (maybe a bit weird saying this). The rim is very comfortable to my face.

My test for the low range is playing a tuba part as written for Escape of The Deep by Brian Balmages (The tuba player in my Community Band needs another person to help them to project their sound over a bit loud heavy ensemble. There's also a small tuba solos in it too ). Pedal Bb's feel solid and easy to play. Transitioning from pedal Bb to C feels smoother and am able to get a fuller sound in the low range in general.

For mid range: I pulled out Rich Heffler's arrangement of What Child Is This (it works well for euphonium though it was meant for woodwinds or strings). Very consistent and just as warm if not warmer sounding then the Denis Wick 4M. Slurring was fine.

Overall, I like the mouthpiece. I will be able to gauge the mouthpiece more this week playing open. I have a rehearsal with my Community Band on Tuesday evening and Tuba Christmas this Saturday.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345