Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Mercer & Barker Euphonium Mouthpiece!

It also depends on the instrument. When I play my 4AL or SM4 on my Sovereign, it's a lot easier to push the horn to the point it starts soaring over the band than when I use those same mouthpieces on my Willson 2960. So if I were to need to play over the band in a lot of pieces when I use the Willson, I would probably look for a slightly shallower mouthpiece so it doesn't tire me out as quickly.

Anyway, good to hear there are more options in the 51-size range.

2. Having just bought a MB mouthpiece, I will offer my amateur opinion…

I had developed a buzz which weirdly got louder and more apparent with my new GVL Geneva and it was messing my embouchure up double playing entries and other odd things in the middle range, and it was suggested that an MB mouthpiece with the flattest rim would help creating the seal I needed…

The MB4F feels like a sm3 on the face but a sm4 diameter…

The buzz has disappeared, but obviously I now need to adjust to the mouthpiece but I am hitting super As with relative easy, it’s not hungry for air so getting through phrases is easier than before…

I am very pleased because it solves a problem that I actually thought was going to end my playing all together…

Side note: the smaller MB5 sounds just as good tone wise, apparently Glynn Williams is playing on that size currently and with the size of the sound it created I am not surprised, just too much of a leap for me to go from a 3 down to a 5…

I have been trying out the MB Solo model for about 2 weeks. i normally use a 51D or a Parker 51D Lance LaDuke model. Unfortunatley, I find the MB Solo's rim to be very uncomfortable. Tone wise, I find the 51D models give bit smaller sound, but smoother sound — possibly because of their more rounded cups.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJones View Post
    Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is safe and plague-free!

I wanted to let you all know that we have officially launched what I believe will be a game-changer for euphonium players in the Schilke 51D/Griego BB1 camp… and more, honestly. The MB51 is a brand new release that was many, many months of R&D and testing in the making. The rim is rounded and very comfortable, but the inner bite is quite sharp farther down… so you don’t feel it cut into your face. It’s the comfort of a round rim with the clarity of a sharp/flat one. The cup diameter is 25.50 (for reference the Schilke 51D is 25.55 and the BB1 is 25.50) with a bore size of .283. It is free feeling but retains the center and true euphonium core. It does not feel tight to play or loose. The combo is just right. There’s a standard model with the very deep cup that works PERFECTLY for wind band and a “solo” model with a 2mm shallower cup that adds sparkle and brilliance to the sound making it incredibly easy to cut over an ensemble for solo work and high range bombs, haha! I seriously couldn’t be happier with them. They make large AND medium shank in virtually any finish you’d like… including stainless steel. Please check them out. I literally could not be happier with mine.
    Hi, on the website it says the cup is 25.00 mm
    Brian Hunter
    Willson 2900
    Bowman BB1EU

Hi Brian,

Thanks for noticing that! I have sent a message to the Mercer and Barker US website folks to correct it on their end. It is listed correctly on the main Mercer and Barker website, found here: https://mercerandbarker.com/product-category/euphonium/

Thanks for the catch!
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

It has now been corrected/updated on the US website as well. Here's a link: https://mercerandbarker.us/product-category/euphonium/

Again, thanks for noticing that!
    Brandon Jones
    bmjones82@gmail.com

I find the 51D to be too small, and currently really enjoy my SM4U (which I have had for about 10 years). Which M&B euphonium mouthpieces would be good for me to give a try? (getting a new horn soon, and will definitely be looking at a few different combinations)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

So, where can one source these mouthpieces?? (haven't found an online retailer that carries them.)

Can someone point me in the right direction??
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Larry,

I replied to your email a few minutes ago, but here is the link:

https://mercerandbarker.us/product-category/euphonium/

Hope that helps!
    Brandon Jones
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonJones View Post
    I replied to your email a few minutes ago, but here is the link:
    https://mercerandbarker.us/product-category/euphonium/
    Thanks for the help, Brandon! I ordered both the MB51 and the Solo51. Looking forward to trying them out.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast