Thread: heavy fourth valve bottom cap

heavy fourth valve bottom cap

I was curious about what the heavy fourth valve bottom cap really does. I have a Besson Prestige 2052 and while doing some research on the horn, I came across it. I was curious if anyone knows. It seems you would have to be well advanced for something like that to be of a benefit/

I am replying to my own thread. I found Dave Werden U-tube about /the heavy fourth valve cap. I really cannot tell the difference on my laptop and given my current abilities; I doubt something like that would have any effect on my playing.

I will say that I find the difference subtle, but noticeable.

For me, using a heavy 4th cap allows some better slotting, and seems to darken things up a bit. As always, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    I am replying to my own thread. I found Dave Werden U-tube about /the heavy fourth valve cap. I really cannot tell the difference on my laptop and given my current abilities; I doubt something like that would have any effect on my playing.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Accessoiries like heavy valve caps and Lefreque plates in essence add mass to an instrument, which do alter the instrument in some ways.

The difference between playing with these mostly have an effect on the player as they might ease slotting, articulation and centering. I believe that you can tell a difference listening to Dave’s recordings, but the difference is so subtle that you need the side-by-side comparison to tell the difference.

I don’t know if I would use one on a Prestige to be honest as it would make an already heavy horn even more heavy. If you bought yours new it should have come with a second set of gold-plated bottom caps for valves 1-2-3 that are of a different weight than the ones already installed.
    Last edited by Vito; 05-23-2022 at 06:55 AM.
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

yes, I did get a second set of caps, but had no idea why. I thought they just backup! The weight never bothers me because I just play in a band, not playing solos, and I have the cushion to help support the horn (and besides, I need the exercise)! If anything helps with articulation, slotting (not sure what that is) and centering, I will use it. But I admit, I have not recovered all the abilities I had when in school yet. Not sure how that is going to take!

Is you want to know what ‘slotting’ is you can read this discussion thread:

What is “Slotting”:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...t#.YoujQi33ahA
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

thx, it is what i was guessing