Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: GPRTEC Iowa Conference - Shires?

  1. #1

    GPRTEC Iowa Conference - Shires?

    Anyone at the GPRTEC conference get a chance to play the shires custom or solo?

    Mike
    Mike Taylor

    Illinois Brass Band

  2. #2
    I was hoping too, but Eastman's truck had a mechanical problem and they were not able to get to the show.

    Buddy Roger's Music was there with a couple Eastman euphoniums, and I was able to play one and get an intonation graph. That will be posted at some point when I catch up.

    I have to give Eastman credit here. Despite not making it to the show, they did not ask for any kind of adjustment on the fees and other money the had committed to GPRTEC.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

  3. #3
    Thatís too bad. Iím glad I didnít make the trek for the purpose of trying them out!

    Sounds like theyíre a class act though.

    Iím sure the Eastman graph will be useful, though I suppose the shires USA horns will be very different.

    Mike

    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I was hoping too, but Eastman's truck had a mechanical problem and they were not able to get to the show.

    Buddy Roger's Music was there with a couple Eastman euphoniums, and I was able to play one and get an intonation graph. That will be posted at some point when I catch up.

    I have to give Eastman credit here. Despite not making it to the show, they did not ask for any kind of adjustment on the fees and other money the had committed to GPRTEC.
    Mike Taylor

    Illinois Brass Band

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    I’m sure the Eastman graph will be useful, though I suppose the shires USA horns will be very different.
    Maybe, maybe not. It might be reasonable to assume that the acoustic design (size/taper of tubing, for one) will be based on the design of the Q series. Those horns have been well accepted in the market. But it is also reasonable to assume the Custom model could change enough things to affect the intonation. One of these days I'll try to get my hands on one!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

  5. #5
    Based on the chart you posted, I hope not - there are some truly crazy tendencies on that Eastman - like the concert G at nearly -20 cents!

    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. It might be reasonable to assume that the acoustic design (size/taper of tubing, for one) will be based on the design of the Q series. Those horns have been well accepted in the market. But it is also reasonable to assume the Custom model could change enough things to affect the intonation. One of these days I'll try to get my hands on one!
    Mike Taylor

    Illinois Brass Band

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Based on the chart you posted, I hope not - there are some truly crazy tendencies on that Eastman - like the concert G at nearly -20 cents!
    OOPS! Thanks for your comment. As I was entering the data yesterday, the entry screen was displaying the pitch field in the wrong order. I caught the error and fixed it, but I missed fixing the Eastman. It is corrected now, and if you compare it to the Shires Q41 you will see they are more similar.

    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •