Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouthpiece Recommendations

1. Mouthpiece Recommendations

I’ll be going into grad school for music this coming fall, and recently upgraded my horn to an Adam’s E1! For years I’ve been playing on a SM4U on my old Yamaha 642S. However, on the Adams, it doesn’t translate quite into the sound I want. I tried out a Griego BB1, and while I loved the sound and tone it offered, it wasn’t comfortable. Every time I would have cuts on my lips, and it was painful to play anything above the middle register.

So my question is, what mouthpieces are there that offer the ease, comfort, and flexibility of the SM4U, and the tone of the BB1? I’ve been tempted to try out the Doug Elliot mouthpieces or the K&G, but I do not know a lot about them. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, I would love to discuss what options are available!
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by bayoung36 View Post
    I’ll be going into grad school for music this coming fall, and recently upgraded my horn to an Adam’s E1! For years I’ve been playing on a SM4U on my old Yamaha 642S. However, on the Adams, it doesn’t translate quite into the sound I want. I tried out a Griego BB1, and while I loved the sound and tone it offered, it wasn’t comfortable. Every time I would have cuts on my lips, and it was painful to play anything above the middle register.

So my question is, what mouthpieces are there that offer the ease, comfort, and flexibility of the SM4U, and the tone of the BB1? I’ve been tempted to try out the Doug Elliot mouthpieces or the K&G, but I do not know a lot about them. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, I would love to discuss what options are available!
    What about a 51D? It is similar to the BB1, but its rim isn't as sharp. Also, Parker makes a 51D version.

Mike

I'm using the Alliance DC mouthpieces and find them very comfortable. I use the DC4 now, which is the teeniest bit smaller than your Ultra. The DC3 is about the same amount larger than your Ultra. Here I'm talking about comfort.

The 4, being smaller, makes high range a bit easier. The 3 gives a larger sound.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Core and sound wise, do you think the Alliance is better for Adams?

Searching for a mouthpiece feels like a never ending journey especially now that I joined the Adams club!

5. Good point, but it doesn’t offer quite the same flexibility as the SM4U. I don’t like how thick the rim is on the 51D. I think it’s a bit too clunky for my face/lips!

Ah, yes. Searching for the perfect mouthpiece is like the Quest for the Holy Grail. It is also a very personal quest, as everyone has their own preference.

I was very happy with my Wedge.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    Ah, yes. Searching for the perfect mouthpiece is like the Quest for the Holy Grail. It is also a very personal quest, as everyone has their own preference.

I was very happy with my Wedge.
    No kidding! It feels like the Monty Python movie with how many different opinions and options there are for players!

Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, I found the Holy Grail of the mouthpieces when I decided to try the K&G.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

9. I have an E1, and for ME, Giddings GW=102 is way better than anything else I have tried. IMO the sound quality, and the feel (and other advantages) of stainless steel make it worth the extra investment.

10. Doug Elliot recommended me a combination which I'm tempted to try. I've only played the Giddings once, and it is a fun mouthpiece to play on, I think it is just a tad too bright for me though!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast