Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouthpiece Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by bayoung36 View Post
    Doug Elliot recommended me a combination which I'm tempted to try. I've only played the Giddings once, and it is a fun mouthpiece to play on, I think it is just a tad too bright for me though!
    What did Doug Elliott recommend for you? Just curious.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

2. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    What did Doug Elliott recommend for you? Just curious.
    N103 J8 EUPH series, but I wanted to ask him the benefits of different rim sizes because the 103 is a little larger than than the SM4U.
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

If you like the clarity and sound of the BB1, I’d highly recommend trying the new Mercer and Barker MB51. There’s a standard and solo model. We based them off of a best of both worlds scenario of the Schilke 51D and Bowman BB1. The rim is incredibly comfortable and is super clear-sounding and resonant. Check them out!

Doug Elliot is a good place to start and probably finish.
    It goes without saying that "he knows his stuff".
    If you do not like his first recommendation, he will work with you to fine tune it.

In my time I have played on:

Yamaha 51D
    DW 4AM
    DW 4AL
    DW SM4
    DW SM3.5
    DW 2AL
    DW SM3
    DW SM4U
    Bach 4G
    Bach 4GB
    Randelfalk RW3
    Alliance DC3

I currently have an AR Resonance custom gubbins in Phosphor Bronze with gold plate on order. (26.00, large backbore)

I have had a look at the Mercer & Barker gob irons, and they look interesting, especially the Glyn Williams signature models. I don't especially like his playing or his sound, but something that tempted him away from the mouthpiece he'd used for years, must be worth investigating. I find it interesting that the mouthpiece willy-waving competition over using the largest possible model seems to have died away, thankfully. There will always be someone who claims they play best on a 1G or Wick 00AL, but most players seem to have settled on a diameter between 25mm and 26.4mm.
    Nowt

Retired

I'll second that Doug Elliott is a master. He can work with you to find a size combination and feel that works best for your playing. Very nice guy, super accommodating, and has as much experience as anyone else. Highly recommend giving him a call.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

7. Doug Elliot was very prompt in responding to my inquiry on his mouthpieces! I’ve been playing on the SM4U for a few years as well, but the BB1 has a better sound. The only thing was comfort between the 2 mouthpieces as the BB1 rim cut into my face and left deep incisions on my face. So while I love the sound it offered, I’m thinking of moving away from the sound! The SM4U is extremely comfortable, but doesn’t have quite the sound I want with my new Adams. Doug has given me a recommendation, and I’ll most likely ask my professor Mr. Dobbins to hear his opinions as well.

I have an Adams E3 Custom (0.7mm) and a Besson Prestige 5052. I use a Randefalk 3 in the Adams and a DC3 in the Besson. The taper in the bore of the lead pipes differs - if I swap the mouthpieces over, they both rattle. I can’t remember which way round, but in one set up the rattle is the end of the mouthpiece against the lead pipe; in the other setup, the lead pipe end rattles against the mouthpiece shank. This took some figuring out as the gap in each case is very small, and probably overcome by pushing in the mouthpiece with a bit more force. Has anyone else come across anything like this? I was surprised, I thought they would all be manufactured to a standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
    I have an Adams E3 Custom (0.7mm) and a Besson Prestige 5052. I use a Randefalk 3 in the Adams and a DC3 in the Besson. The taper in the bore of the lead pipes differs - if I swap the mouthpieces over, they both rattle. I can’t remember which way round, but in one set up the rattle is the end of the mouthpiece against the lead pipe; in the other setup, the lead pipe end rattles against the mouthpiece shank. This took some figuring out as the gap in each case is very small, and probably overcome by pushing in the mouthpiece with a bit more force. Has anyone else come across anything like this? I was surprised, I thought they would all be manufactured to a standard.
    This has been discussed on the forum now and then, so your experience is not unique. I used to run across it on my British-made Besson and my Sterling, but on the Adams I have not had the problem. I'm using a DC4 mouthpiece now, and at the conference I just attended I played on 3 other Adams, 1 Besson (967), and one Wessex (Dolce). The DC4 fit solidly in all 5.

I assume your Adams has the adjustable gap receiver. If so, you could probably get a new bit for it, but there is no way to know if that is part of the problem. Mouthpieces can be the cause. These days, with computer controlled machining, one would think we would have left such problems behind. But I suppose there is always a mechanical component, and where mechanics are involved there can be wear or (I suppose) some human error in setting/fitting/adjusting/whatever.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    This has been discussed on the forum now and then, so your experience is not unique. I used to run across it on my British-made Besson and my Sterling, but on the Adams I have not had the problem. I'm using a DC4 mouthpiece now, and at the conference I just attended I played on 3 other Adams, 1 Besson (967), and one Wessex (Dolce). The DC4 fit solidly in all 5.

These days, with computer controlled machining, one would think we would have left such problems behind. But I suppose there is always a mechanical component, and where mechanics are involved there can be wear or (I suppose) some human error in setting/fitting/adjusting/whatever.
    You would think things would be standard! I had a friend who ordered a European shank mouthpiece from Denis Wick for her Besson, and it didn’t fit the receiver at all. She thought she ordered the wrong size, but it was a manufacturer issue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast