Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mouthpiece Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Did you go with the M top, or maybe the new GVL?

Which backbore? I’ve found that they make a big difference with the AR pieces.
    I went for the M top (26mm). It feels and looks slightly wider than the DC3 I also have, and the sound is significantly more resonant. There's a clue there somewhere.... Backbone is the large, to compensate for the narrower throat than I am used to.

I'm tempted to get a ML as well, but with a M backbone rather than the large I have with the M.

I fancy the look of the GVL but need more info before I send Tony another £400!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1DF0BB3-F906-48F1-A3A7-37CC4A94B1D0-11569-000002FA3931895A.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	9145
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCFE47D5-1A5D-4901-8AAD-A795B340946D-11569-000002FA3970503F.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	711.8 KB 
ID:	9146
    Last edited by Magikarp; 06-01-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    Nowt

Retired

2. That’s the only downside, is that they’re so expensive! However, I love the multiple options the offer, I’ll send them an email to get more information if I end up going the Resonance route.
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

(Directed at magikarp - quoting didn’t work on mobile) I don’t know what customs would be like, but I could be convinced to send you some AR parts to try if you’d like.

Where does one buy an Alliance mouthpiece in the States?

Quote Originally Posted by randy711 View Post
    Where does one buy an Alliance mouthpiece in the States?
    Dillon carries some of them, I believe.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Dillon carries some of them, I believe.
    Thank you! I checked there first but they are out of stock. Childs’ website has some so I may go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by randy711 View Post
    Thank you! I checked there first but they are out of stock. Childs’ website has some so I may go with that.
    I have also occasionally ordered from Thomann, or direct from Alliance, even though I’m in the USA.

What are you looking for specifically?
    Last edited by miketeachesclass; 06-06-2022 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

I actually used Thomann! I’m glad you recommended them because after I ordered it, I immediately got worried since I was unfamiliar with the company! They said it would get here Thursday, which seems crazy fast!

I ordered a DC-4. About 6 years ago, I went through every mouthpiece I could get my hands on but this wasn’t on the list (I think because it didn’t exist then?). I landed on a Bach 5G Bach then. With all the nice things I have seen here about the DC’s, I want to give it a spin!

I should also mention I’m planning a purchase an Adams E2 or 3. Seems like a lot of folks like the combo and it’s also fun to buy new gear!

My very brief thoughts,

Mouthpieces are a very personal things, and we need to find what works for US personally. That being said, Mercer & Barker is doing amazing things. For wind band playing, I would look at the Brandon Jones pieces without a doubt. It's a hybrid of the Bowman and Schilke 51D. Absolutely amazing in feel and core sound produced. For brass band playing, I am very partial to the Wick mouthpieces. Namely the SMX line. Just my preferences though.
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234