Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mouthpiece Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
    I have an Adams E3 Custom (0.7mm) and a Besson Prestige 5052. I use a Randefalk 3 in the Adams and a DC3 in the Besson. The taper in the bore of the lead pipes differs - if I swap the mouthpieces over, they both rattle. I can’t remember which way round, but in one set up the rattle is the end of the mouthpiece against the lead pipe; in the other setup, the lead pipe end rattles against the mouthpiece shank. This took some figuring out as the gap in each case is very small, and probably overcome by pushing in the mouthpiece with a bit more force. Has anyone else come across anything like this? I was surprised, I thought they would all be manufactured to a standard.
    I also have some randefalk pieces. The end of the leadpipe rattles against the shank of the piece when seated fully on my besson. The gap is not the problem, as the inserted length of the randefalk is less than the inserted depth of a wick.

It feels like there’s a weird manufacturing thing with the randefalk, but Patrik says it’s not. I had Karl hammond turn the shank of one ever so slightly, and it now fits.

I assume this is also why the randefalk response feels weird to me on my besson.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    I also have some randefalk pieces. The end of the leadpipe rattles against the shank of the piece when seated fully on my besson. The gap is not the problem, as the inserted length of the randefalk is less than the inserted depth of a wick.

It feels like there’s a weird manufacturing thing with the randefalk, but Patrik says it’s not. I had Karl hammond turn the shank of one ever so slightly, and it now fits.

I assume this is also why the randefalk response feels weird to me on my besson.
    I chose the Randefalk because Gary Curtin uses one on his Adams E1 (Gary helped me choose the E3; I’m most grateful to him for that!). I wonder if the mouthpiece / receiver mismatch is more of a problem than the manufacturers perhaps appreciate? Trying out a variety of ‘identical’ instruments, maybe the one the musician chooses is the one which best fits the shank of the player’s mouthpiece. I wonder how much the slight mismatch in taper actually affects tone, and weather a screw-on mouthpiece could be the way forward (do Monette do something like that?).

Maybe. I’ve got somewhere around 160 mouthpieces. The randefalk is the only one that doesn’t fit in all of my horns appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
    I chose the Randefalk because Gary Curtin uses one on his Adams E1 (Gary helped me choose the E3; I’m most grateful to him for that!). I wonder if the mouthpiece / receiver mismatch is more of a problem than the manufacturers perhaps appreciate? Trying out a variety of ‘identical’ instruments, maybe the one the musician chooses is the one which best fits the shank of the player’s mouthpiece. I wonder how much the slight mismatch in taper actually affects tone, and weather a screw-on mouthpiece could be the way forward (do Monette do something like that?).
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

My AR Resonance gob iron arrived yesterday and got used at the rehearsal. No issues with the build or the fit, only problem was the extra £74.53 import duties our thieving, corrupt, and mendacious government see fit to impose thanks to the lunacy of Brexit. It’s resulted in what is effectively a £400 mouthpiece.

And it’s lovely too. Phosphor Bronze and is pretty weighty but extremely responsive. A-B tests with the DC3 show a much greater resonance in the middle lower register - didn’t do much playing above top G but everything seemed nicely centred. The couple of top Bs (TC) seemed easy to slot and bang in tune so looks like it may prove to be a good investment.

Did you go with the M top, or maybe the new GVL?

Which backbore? I’ve found that they make a big difference with the AR pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    My AR Resonance gob iron arrived yesterday and got used at the rehearsal. No issues with the build or the fit, only problem was the extra £74.53 import duties our thieving, corrupt, and mendacious government see fit to impose thanks to the lunacy of Brexit. It’s resulted in what is effectively a £400 mouthpiece.

And it’s lovely too. Phosphor Bronze and is pretty weighty but extremely responsive. A-B tests with the DC3 show a much greater resonance in the middle lower register - didn’t do much playing above top G but everything seemed nicely centred. The couple of top Bs (TC) seemed easy to slot and bang in tune so looks like it may prove to be a good investment.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

6. What is the main difference between the two tops?
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by bayoung36 View Post
    What is the main difference between the two tops?
    Are you asking about the AR tops?

If so, the standard medium is not as deep as the new GVL model. (The old GVL model was just the standard medium top).

The new GVL only comes in gold, and with a bronze top and bronze backbore.

You can find some basics here, but they don't mention anything about the GVL. Tony is super responsive via email though.
    https://www.arresonance.com/euphonium
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

8. Have you played on the new GVL model? I’ve been looking at the AR Resonance pieces, but there’s no way I’d be able to test them out!

Quote Originally Posted by bayoung36 View Post
    Have you played on the new GVL model? I’ve been looking at the AR Resonance pieces, but there’s no way I’d be able to test them out!
    Yes, I have M, ML, L, and the GVL model, as well as S/M/L backbores.

the GVL is deeper than the regular M. I like what it does to the sound, but I find it a bit fatiguing.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

10. Interesting, how do you think it compares to a SM4U? I’ve been looking for a mouthpiece with a little bit more core to the sound.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast