Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuba to practice low notes

Dave Werden video says the Eb Tuba was a natural for a Euphonium Player. I am not sure what his reasoning was other than since he reads treble clef, it is easy for him to read music by reading bass clef as treble (I read bass clef, but also treble and have no problem with Tenor clef thinking it is treble clef with a bass clef key signature, so I should not have a problem). I am not sure what the other reasons the Eb tuba is a natural for a Euphonium Player over a BBb tuba. I have to figure out how to divide my practice time, euphonium, tenor trombone, bass trombone and now tuba. And by choice, I still work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    Dave Werden video says the Eb Tuba was a natural for a Euphonium Player. I am not sure what his reasoning was other than since he reads treble clef, it is easy for him to read music by reading bass clef as treble (I read bass clef, but also treble and have no problem with Tenor clef thinking it is treble clef with a bass clef key signature, so I should not have a problem). I am not sure what the other reasons the Eb tuba is a natural for a Euphonium Player over a BBb tuba. I have to figure out how to divide my practice time, euphonium, tenor trombone, bass trombone and now tuba. And by choice, I still work!!!
    My treble clef brain was part of the equation, of course. But also, the Eb tuba seems a better choice for solo and quintet work, which was my goal. If your doubling on tuba includes providing the bass voice to a larger ensemble, the BBb is unmatched. When our church brass group was larger, I would sometimes play my Eb alongside the other fellow's BBb. I could play every bit as low as he could, but I did get the big, full sound he did. He has a big St. Pete BBb with piston valves. In experiments several years prior with a friend's small Miraphone CC, I could more easily get a powerful sound on my Sovereigh Eb, but it still not quite have the relaxed depth in some way.

There is no getting around the plusses and minuses of a partial system that is a 3rd or 4th higher than the lower tuba.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you, Dave. I doubt I will play a tuba with a band, at least not for the next year, but I just thought it would help me with the other horns and hopefully get my air and embouchure better attuned to lower notes on the Euphonium. I still have not developed the flexibility I once had as a kid jumping from high notes to low notes. I only had a 3-valve horn then and did not have to go below low F. I never even played pedal tones in the 60's. After a few months, and maybe some lessons, I will report back how things are going. Don't look for me at the Metro anytime soon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12