Thread: Crazy c tenor tuba idea. Opinions invited

1. Crazy c tenor tuba idea. Opinions invited

I posted this on the tuba sites I frequent. You guys probably would have great insight.:
    A tenor tuba in c. 4 piston/1 rotor. Maybe a main tuning slide gadget. Largest bell that would play up to pitch. Maybe made in china to keep cost down. For American style tuba players to use for high orchestra, teaching studio duties, etc.. with the idea of easiest possible transition from cc tuba. We already have f and c to keep in shape.Maybe slightly less curvy learning curve? Would conductors or colleagues be more accepting if it looked like an orchestral tuba? Maybe expand use to midsummer nights dream and petruska instead of just bydlo? Other tuba rep that might benefit?Your thoughts?

2. Ideas so far from the other sites: French c tuba, rotory baritones, suck it up and get a euphonium. Closest thing that exists in my sensible price range-Festivo.

3. In terms of a tenor tuba in design, the Miraphone 56A or Alexander 151 seem pretty close to what you're describing, although both are pitched in Bb and have rotary valves instead of pistons. (and also are rather expensive)

Miraphone 56A: https://www.hornguys.com/products/mi...-with-5-valves

Alexander 151: https://www.hornguys.com/collections...-bb-tenor-tuba

EDIT: Looking on the Miraphone website, looks like they indeed offer the 56A in C!

https://www.miraphone.de/c-kaiser-baritone-7.html
    Last edited by Fujiifilm; 05-02-2022 at 09:26 PM. Reason: extra information
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Try, if you can, to PLAY a Festivo before you purchase online.

I recently bought a French C Tuba Wessex TC236P: the purpose I had set myself to make this purchase was to play the euphonium parts written in the bass clef using the same dictation used for the treble parts. I'm having a lot of fun playing this six-piston instrument, not at all difficult to frame. With the French tuba you can easily play all the parts foreseen for euphonium and tenor tuba, as well as those for bass tuba, with freer emission than the compensated euphonium which sounds suffocating in that register. Moreover, even though it does not have compensation circuits, with the six pistons there are countless alternative positions with which the pitch of the various notes is almost perfect.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemason View Post
    I posted this on the tuba sites I frequent. You guys probably would have great insight.:
    .. with the idea of easiest possible transition from cc tuba. ... Maybe slightly less curvy learning curve?
    Does not seem to me to be a remotely adequate motivation for creating such an instrument. The potential market for it seems entirely fanciful.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)