X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsurkin
    • Feb 2014

Bydlo - Toscanini and NBC Symphony Orchestra

I was listening to this recording yesterday and it seems to me that the Bydlo solo was not being played on a euphonium - or if it was, perhaps the age of the recording affected the timbre. Is anyone familiar with this recording?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

I assume you mean this one:

I'm pretty sure that is not a tuba. It almost sounds like a trombone! But at the time this was made it is nearly certain that if someone played it on euphonium it would have been on a small, American-style euphonium. In addition, the treatment of note connections sounds like it is a trombonist who is not comfortable playing a valved instrument and is manipulating the slurs with his tongue.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• dsurkin
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
      [snip]I'm pretty sure that is not a tuba. It almost sounds like a trombone! But at the time this was made it is nearly certain that if someone played it on euphonium it would have been on a small, American-style euphonium. In addition, the treatment of note connections sounds like it is a trombonist who is not comfortable playing a valved instrument and is manipulating the slurs with his tongue.
      It doesn't surprise me that the part is played by a trombonist. Doesn't Joseph Alessi play the Bydlo solo when the NY Philharmonic performs "Pictures?" The one time I saw the Philharmonic perform "Pictures," Alessi was on leave that day and they had a guest perform it on euphonium.
      Dean L. Surkin
      Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
      Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
      Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
      See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• djwpe
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dsurkin View Post
        It doesn't surprise me that the part is played by a trombonist. Doesn't Joseph Alessi play the Bydlo solo when the NY Philharmonic performs "Pictures?" The one time I saw the Philharmonic perform "Pictures," Alessi was on leave that day and they had a guest perform it on euphonium.
        No. Al Baer typically plays it on F tuba. Last time, The NY Times Critic made a snide remark which I thought was unwarranted, having been at that performance.

You may be thinking of Mahler 7, where Joe plays the tenor horn part. He’s played it on a Yamaha Neo English baritone in the past, but the last time I asked him about it he said he’ll probably use euphonium next time.

Colin Williams as Assoc. Principal trombone normally handles the valve work, although a few years ago Demondrae played Ein Heldenleiben when Colin wasn’t available.

Don

Comment

• bbocaner
          • May 2009

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
          No. Al Baer typically plays it on F tuba. Last time, The NY Times Critic made a snide remark which I thought was unwarranted, having been at that performance.

Don
          I actually like really hearing it on F tuba, it adds a clumsiness and a big sound that compliments the music well. As a euphonium player who wants to play it again myself I will never admit to having said that.
          --
          Barry

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

One of the best I’ve heard was by Allessandro Fossi. I think on F tuba.

-- e̶d̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶C̶ ̶t̶u̶b̶a̶--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6Eo6liyCg

Last edited by RickF; 05-01-2022, 03:48 PM.
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• MarChant
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by RickF View Post
              One of the best I’ve heard was by Allassandro Fossi. I think on F tuba.

-- edit, he played a C tuba --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6Eo6liyCg
              I am pretty sure he plays Bydlo on an F tuba. On his website, he tells a story about the moments before that recording, and he says he dented his C tuba, but just before he says "I took my tubas, and I was finally walking to the theater..."
              I doubt that a professional player with both an F and a C tuba would play Bydlo on his C.
              Also, and more importantly, the tuba he plays in the video looks like a B&S 3100. You can also see the bottom bow of his larger (probably CC) tuba next to him in some shots.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	bs-3100-w-l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	117986
              Last edited by MarChant; 04-26-2022, 02:54 PM.
              Martin Monné

My collection of Brass Instruments

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

Thanks Martin. I thought he used his 'F' tuba but then read the scary story of him loosing his car keys and denting his 'C' tuba on the way to the gig. I just assumed he must have used his 'C', but you're right, he did say tubas... plural.

The story if anyone is interested:
                https://www.alessandrofossi.net/2017...a-performance/
                Rick Floyd
                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
                X