Thread: Suite Forty-four - Chandler Wilson

Suite Forty-four - Chandler Wilson

Our band just got a new work in our folders by Chandler Wilson called, "Suite Forty-four". Mr. Wilson composed this five movement piece as part of his dissertation for his PhD at Florida State University in 2019. It has a couple of nice solos for euphonium too which I like (we're only playing m1 and m5). He was inspired to write this suite after having performed behind then presidential candidate Barack Obama few times and then watching him leave the White House in 2016. Our last concert each season is always patriotic. Along with some marches, "American Overture for Band" (Jenkins), "Armed Forces Salute" (Bowden), we're playing some pieces that salute some of our past presidents. "Rough Riders" (Karl King) for Teddy Roosevelt, "Lincoln" (John Williams, Bocook) for Lincoln of course, "Elegy for a Young American" (Presti) for JFK, and "Suite Forty-four" for Obama. JWPepper says it's a grade 5 - which I think is accurate for m4, but I don't think m1 and m5 are that difficult. Below are a few links if interested.

Suite Forty-four (Chandler Wilson) - JWPepper:

"Suite Forty-four" YouTube: (FSU Wind Winds)
    Last edited by RickF; 05-24-2022 at 04:40 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

This past weekend we had our last two concerts of the season entitled, "American Leadership". Below is a recording from last night of us playing this new work by Dr. Chandler Wilson mentioned above entitled, "Suite Forty-four". It's in honor of our 44th president, Barack Obama. We only played movements 1 and 5. Everyone in the band really liked this new piece.

Suite Forty-four (Chandler Wilson):
    “shared with permission from Bravo Music Inc.”

There are two
    short lyrical solos for euphonium around 1:20 and again at 4:40.
    Last edited by RickF; 07-14-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Nice piece! Very solid writing for full band, using all the sections well. (It's actually pretty easy to make a band sound awkward with improper scoring - a pet peeve of mine!)

Pretty listenable for a general audience, too.

-- in your second post, the link takes me to a login page, FYI --
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Oops, I made a mistake with the link, corrected the link above. Thanks Dave.

BTW our horn section grew to '8' this year so the euphs were moved back a row and next to the tubas. So it's become a 'horn-u-copious' I call it. The first solo was marked mf, but had to play up to f or more.
    Last edited by RickF; 06-05-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I was hoping to be able to share a video of us playing this new nice piece by Chandler Wilson but unfortunately there have been some delays.

Below is a link to excerpts of movement 1 and 5 with the lyrical euphonium solos. In M1 all eight horns were playing. Below is a picture of the horn section taking a bow after our playing of, "American Overture for Band" (Jenkins). I joke that they are like a ‘horn-u-copious’.

Suite Forty-four (Wilson) M1, M5 excerpts:

Last edited by RickF; 07-01-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)