Thread: Adam's E1 help

Adam's E1 help

Good morning everyone! So I had a random question about my euphonium, since I'm not sure if it's an issue. I play on an Adam's E1 that I got in 2016. I was recently told that my mouthpiece goes way to far into the receiver. I have always thought that this was normal because of the AGR itself. I'll post a picture with my 51D and SM3 in the horn. Any help or feedback would be great, thank you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220325_163225.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	8969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220325_163236.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	8970

That is very deep! Forgive me for asking, but are you sure these are large shank mouthpieces? In other words, they were not made for a medium-shank horn like an old Besson or a Willson, right?

With all the Adams euphoniums I have tried, my large-shank mouthpieces go in about as far as they did in my other euphoniums or my symphonic trombone. The insertion marks on the shanks are within 1/8" for all those horns. If the mouthpieces you used here are standard large-bore euphonium mouthpieces, then the receiver is too large IMO.

The best solution would be contact your dealer. Perhaps the horn shipped with the wrong receiver. Look at this chart and check out the insertion depth of my own SM mouthpiece. Then compare it to yours. The insertion depth in the receiver is independent of the AGR's position, so yours should be about 34.5mm. I'm guessing yours goes in much more than that! You can tell the dealer the difference you find between mine and yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chart.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	8971
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I don't know about the 2nd one, but my SM3 has a slightly smaller shank than normal. Not as small as the sm3m obviously, but still so small it almost gets swallowed by a normal receiver. I can't use it all with my king, which has a larger than standard receiver.

All mouthpieces now have a standard taper size, depending on whether they are little, medium and large shank. I will give you some measures so that you can determine what is causing the problem.
    Inner diameter of the large size receiver end: 13.9mm (+/-) 0.1; shaft end outer diameter of DW SM / K&G mouthpieces 12.8mm and fit into receiver for 22mm (stem length 36mm); Schilke 51D mouthpiece, at least 30 years old: 41mm stem length, 12.5mm stem diameter, fits 27mm into the receiver.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Thank you so much everyone for the quick replies! So I definitely do have a large shank mouthpiece, I made sure to check all of the measurements of it. I used all of the measurements provided here and I called Austin Custom Brass where I got my horn from. They where extremely helpful and just asked me for some pictures. The plan as of now is they will contact Adam's for a replacement receiver. I honestly just feel bad it took me this long to notice

I'm glad you are track for a solution - Trent Austin runs a quality organization!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I still think there is a possibility that your SM3 has a smaller shank size than standard. I know at least some of them do (like mine) it's not as small as a sm3m (I have one of those too) but its no where near the size of a standard large shank

Ok. If you want to measure your mouthpieces and stuff, here's how. It's easy. You need a ruler with millimeter markings and a dry erase marker. This is sufficient to get you within 0.05mm at the shank. If you need to be more accurate than this, well...you don't.

To measure a mouthpiece:
    You need one known variable and that's usually another mouthpiece that you know the size of. I don't have any large shank horns because reasons, so I can't confirm, but if Franz says that Schilke uses 12.5mm for large shank, then Schilke uses 12.5mm for large shank. So mark the insertion depth of both mouthpieces. Standard taper is 1:20, so the difference in depth divided by 20 is the difference in shank size. So if a brand is using 12.8mm (seriously? this is stupid) then in comparison to 12.5mm, the difference will be 6mm of insertion depth. 6 / 20 = 0.3. 12.8 - 12.5 = 0.3

To measure horn:
    This is much harder, and not really relevant with an AGR, but it's possible. You need a lot more known variables. Easiest is to just have the stock mouthpiece and measure that. If that isn't available, you need to know the original intended insertion depth, and you need a mouthpiece with known shank size to compare. Failing any of this, you could just jam stuff in the receiver and see what works. If it wobbles or rams into something, it's wrong. For old timey American instruments, this is a fairly hopeless endeavor, and I've passed on many an old horn because of it.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.