Thread: Mouthpiece Recommendation - DC4 is giving me trouble centering my pitch

Mouthpiece Recommendation - DC4 is giving me trouble centering my pitch

Hey everyone!
    I spent a ton of time combing through the threads here...
    After some time off of playing I went back to using my DEG BB1BT mouthpiece and used it for approximately 4-4.5 years. I like that it's easy to center the pitch and I have a lot of stamina on it. Recently, I've felt that it's difficult to play in the lower range and I was looking for a more open sound - caveat...I'm not a big fan of a huge spread sound that the toilet bowl mouthpieces give you.

I decided on purchasing an Alliance DC4. I played on it for about a month and a half and, while I like the open sound, I find it hard sometimes to center the pitch. Playing it in comparison to my SM4 the SM4 feels easier to navigate. (I have previously played an SM4, SM3, and SM3U)

Does anyone have this same experience?

Right now I'm back on my BB1, but I'm not loving it. I'm playing on a Besson Prestige BE2052, BTW...

Any suggestions? I'm not sure of all of the U's, X's, XR's of the Wicks...

Thanks in advance!

Brian

2. I had the same thing happen. What I didn't realize was that I was used to a rigid slotting experience with a previous mouthpiece. The good and bad with that was with the other mouthpiece I struggled playing in a section due to intonation issues. Mid rehearsal I went back to the DC4 and intonation problems solved. The DC4 allowed just enough adjustments that I could accurately tune to the other players. So I think it is just a question of adaptation.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Hi,
    I understand what you're saying but I don't have those issues with the SM4. I don't know if it has to do with the shape of the cup?
    Even with the much larger SM3/SM3U I don't have issues finding pitches - just with endurance because the mouthpiece is too big.
    I'm wondering if there's another mouthpiece that's easier to center the pitch on that is similar in size the DC4 rim?
    Maybe it's just me but I feel like the pitch can slide all over on the DC4 in comparison to the SM4 or my BB1.
    Brian
    Brian Hunter
    Willson 2900
    Bowman BB1EU

Because you find the BB1 mostly works for you and the Alliance and Wicks not so well, I would try the Schilke 51D.
    Last edited by JTJ; 03-21-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Hi,
    I understand what you're saying but I don't have those issues with the SM4. I don't know if it has to do with the shape of the cup?
    Even with the much larger SM3/SM3U I don't have issues finding pitches - just with endurance because the mouthpiece is too big.
    I'm wondering if there's another mouthpiece that's easier to center the pitch on that is similar in size the DC4 rim?
    Maybe it's just me but I feel like the pitch can slide all over on the DC4 in comparison to the SM4 or my BB1.
    Brian
    Surely, if you’re going from an SM3 to a DC4 you’re moving TWO mouthpiece sizes smaller - as the DC numbering system is one out from Wick - a 4 equates to a Wick 5. I would really struggle with that even. Though there is probably only 0.5mm difference.

I have a DC3 because that’s the same diameter as a 4, and initial fluffiness of sound aside, I love it. I was admittedly coming from a Randelfalk R3 which is a completely different sound concept.

Since having settled on the DC3 I have found a better surety of pitch and articulation especially on ugly notes like top A (treble).

However if there was a perfect mouthpiece we’d all be playing on Kosikups. Possibly.
    Nowt

Retired

I would recommend trying the K&G mouthpieces: I use them on euphonium, baritone, French C tuba and trombone. After years searching for the ideal mouthpiece (for me) and having gone from Bach 6/2 AL, Schilke 51D, 52D, 52E2, SM3, SM3U, SM3X and DC3 and DC2 with K&G ( 3 and 3+) I found the Holy Grail, exceptional in terms of resistance, intonation, projection and sound. Obviously this is just my humble opinion.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

As Magikarp says, the DC4 being equivalent to a Wick 5 means it may not be a good match for a large horn like a Prestige. Can I ask why you don’t just use the SM4? Or maybe the classic 4AL?

So it's been a few weeks - I borrowed a mouthpiece from a stand mate and I think I'm going to stick with it. It's the Denis Wick SM4XR.

9. Brian,

If you feel a need to sell your DC4, send me a PM...Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band