Thread: Sight Reading 3 Solos with Band

Sight Reading 3 Solos with Band

Below are 3 videos, made from a cassette deck and a couple cheap mics on the front of the stage. The Coast Guard Band would have reading sessions for music that was new to us. On this day we read 3 different euphonium solos of British origin. They are all "old" traditional solos, but the band and I had never played them. I had practiced them enough to get through them at tempos I thought were near the goal. The conductor had seen the scores (but not studied them) and had never heard recordings, and the band is totally sight reading. This is good insight into the reading ability of a service band.

I need to mention, in fairness to the band folks, that the music was typeset on small paper and used notation we are not used to (like when a quarter rest looks like a reversed 1/8 rest). Below is a sample from Jenny Jones, but they were all similar. The first 2 are fairly standard for Brits, but the 3rd one is apparently not (I can't even find a recording or a listing for its sheet music).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manuscript British.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	8918

The Cavalier:

Jenny Jones:

Jubiloso:

Last edited by davewerden; 03-09-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium