Thread: Any experience with the Kanstul w4al Mouthpiece?

1. Any experience with the Kanstul w4al Mouthpiece?

Hi everybody.
    I am a euphonium/trombone player from Copenhagen Denmark and I just joined today after reading along in secret for a long time.

Do anyone have any experience with the Kanstul w4al euph mouthpiece? They call it 4al... But is anything like the classic 4al?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

My guess is that it was Kanstul's version of the classic Wick 4AL. This previous thread seems to confirm that:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...have-right-now
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you Dave. I thought that i searched the forum for old posts about Kanstul.. But I guess not. Anyway ill stick to my Wicks then. 🙂

Hi All
    New member here.
    I am primarily a trombone player but have always enjoyed the euphonium sound and any opportunity to play.
    About 12 yrs ago I acquired a beat up B&H Sovereign which played reasonably well considering its condition.
    The DW4AL and SM4U were like hand in glove for the B&H. They felt like they were made for each other.

More recently I acquired a nearly new Shires Q41.
    The best mouthpiece match for it from my collection is the Kanstul W4AL.
    The DW and SM didn't feel the same in the Q41 - I found they were a bit unpredictable in the upper register.
    The SM4U made it sound quite dark and heavy.

So in answer to the OP's query, the W4AL rim is a bit flatter than the DW4AL, more like the SM4U and about the same diameter.
    However it feels smaller to play than the DW or SM.
    I think the cup volume and/or backbore must be smaller.
    in my experience, the W4AL gives a warm, solid sound which is just a little bit 'lighter' than the DW.
    I find it sings nicely in the upper register and is very responsive.

I'm interested to hear from other Q41 players about their mouthpiece choice and if it required a different mouthpiece to that used in other instruments.

Thanks and regards

Phil
    Last edited by PJE; 03-06-2022 at 06:26 AM.