Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shires Bravo Euphonium

Shires Bravo Euphonium

I just got one of these at the shop so I wanted to start a thread and post some initial impressions of the Shires Bravo euphonium. It's a 3+1 non-compensating horn, only available in silver plate, has a .571 bore, large shank mouthpiece receiver, and a 12 inch bell.

I've only tooted around on it a bit today, but my initial impressions are pretty positive overall. Definitely a nice looking horn, free blowing as you'd expect, sweet/singing sound, open-feeling low register, and the 123 fingering is more in tune than 123 on my Adams (which is pretty dreadful, honestly, but I've never really been one to use that fingering for any reason).

MSRP is above the Yamaha 321/King 2280 but below the Adams Sonic. Overall it feels like a solid entry into the mid-level market.

Pics attached!
    Sean

Just kidding in the first post. HERE are the photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20220209_201947237.jpg   PXL_20220209_201949960.jpg   PXL_20220209_202016300.jpg  
    Sean

The Shires Bravo looks very nice. From the photos it looks like the bell flare is different but suspect it might be distortion from cellphone camera maybe.

Thanks for the review.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Greensleeves (arr. Alfred Reed)

There is absolutely a use for non-comp 4 valves, and it is kinda fun to see two quality builders offering new versions.

As far as 123...most non-comps (3 or 4 valve) tend to have longer loops on the 3rd valve. On comp horns the 3rd valve is quite usable for some notes instead of 12. Does the Bravo have a flatter 3rd valve than your compensating horn?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Agree with Dave that 3+1 non-compensating horns are quite useful instruments. For most music, you rarely go below low concert Eb, and having the 4th valve to tame the low B natural a little is very handy. And using the 4th valve for C in the staff is nice, too.

A lighter horn and a little freer blowing down low I suspect. And less greenbacks (or your local currency).

Nice engraving on the bell. Extra "cork" stoppers to prevent the spit valves from scratching the horn when you use them. What are the valve caps made of? How is the hand grip attached? It looks interesting, but I can't quite see all of it.

So nice to have so many choices to choose from nowadays. That is a good thing.

Thanks for posting, Sean!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-09-2022 at 10:29 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Kingdom of the Sun Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)

Indeed, having a non-compensating horn is probably the best solution if you are an average player who does not need to play virtuosic parts that require playing notes below F #. For band work an uncompensated 3 + 1 horn is more than enough: lighter, freer and, above all, saving a lot of money. I have played for forty years on this type of horn (Courtois 165, 4 online) and I have never found a single part that required the execution of C # above the fundamental, the only note not obtainable with this type of euphonium. I switched to a compensator just for fun or simply because it is in fashion and it is played by the greatest virtuosos of the euphonium. Positive is also the fact that the piston of the fourth valve is positioned between the main branch and the third pump and not behind, as in compensators, favoring a more ergonomic position, especially for those players with small hands.
    Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone,4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves 1974, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Hello SPKissane, what is the actual list price of the Shires Bravo?

Regards, Guido
    Wessex EP104 Festivo + DC4, SM4U, 51D

Hey Guido - I'm honestly not sure if I can post the actual price online publicly or not, as the prices for the Bravo line aren't published, and the instruments are only available to dealers who buy into the full line (why you don't see them on WWBW, for instance). If you want to contact me privately or call Paige's I'm happy to share the info with you.

Dave - Honestly I just tune my 3rd valve slide to get my 2-3 Db and Gb as close as I can and never think about it otherwise. The 1-2 on my E1 has never really needed an alternate fingering. I might do a little comparing now that I know that about non-compensating horns.

It seems to me that Shires' Bravo line takes direct aim at the high school market, with the community band/enthusiast player/non-major college student/doubler markets being secondary. I can't speak to the long-term quality of the instruments, as they're a new product, but the sound/playability/initial quality all seem very nice - somewhat akin to Yamaha's Allegro line in trumpets and trombone - I've had students and teachers prefer one over the other in about equal measures so far.

I took a few more photos this morning - a few side-by-sides with a Yamaha Neo, just for an overall idea of the proportions, a close-up of what the water key looks like with the extra cork pad (interestingly, the 3rd valve water key has a reverse orientation to what is typical), a couple shots of the pearls on the finger buttons, and a comparison between the 4th valve lock (similar to a Besson/Yamaha) vs the Q41 (more like the Miraphone).

Other points of note, which are attractive features for a high schooler - all Shires Bravo instruments come with a gold plated mouthpiece ("5D" in this case, which I'm told is their take on the 51D), and a cordura "hard" case with backpack straps.

Here's the album: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...QP?usp=sharing

Happy to get any other shots of it, OR the Custom SOLO model I still have here in the shop if anyone wants.
    Sean

9. My question is about the fourth valve slide. The one on my King 2280 has two adjustable slides. This allows for a wide range of tuning to use the fourth valve for. Does the Shires have this too?
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Hi Sean.... I left you a phone msg.

Regards, GUido
    Wessex EP104 Festivo + DC4, SM4U, 51D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast