• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arthur
    • Nov 2021

Valve sticking on return

Hi.
    I'm finding that my first valve has a slow, slightly jerky return after a bit of playing. This only happens when I'm actually playing, if I stop playing the valve feels perfectly normal. It's a fairly new Wessex euph, been well looked after, recently cleaned and has got a brand new set of Stephen Mead springs in it. Seems to make no difference if it's just been cleaned and oiled. Any suggestions?
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum.

I've had this happen to me before and it turned out to be a slightly malformed valve guide where the guide was slightly malformed or mushroomed out some. As the guide was on a Yamaha horn with delrin guides, it was pretty easy to replace. Also make sure the groove in the valve cylinder doesn't have any debris in it by using a wooden tooth pick or wooden match stick to run it clean.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

I had some issues a couple months ago that defied my normal cleaning, so I took it to the shop for a chemical rinse (that's their step-up cleaning process). It worked great, so obviously I had some really tough stuff in there. BUT, follow Rick's advice, too. AND every week or so, I find it helpful to clean everything that is hidden inside the valve: top cap, bottom cap, and springs.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Arthur
        • Nov 2021

Thanks

Originally posted by RickF View Post
        Welcome to the forum.

I've had this happen to me before and it turned out to be a slightly malformed valve guide where the guide was slightly malformed or mushroomed out some. As the guide was on a Yamaha horn with delrin guides, it was pretty easy to replace. Also make sure the groove in the valve cylinder doesn't have any debris in it by using a wooden tooth pick or wooden match stick to run it clean.
        Thanks to you and Dave. I've tried giving the guide an extremely light sanding, so I'll see how that goes tonight. The Wessex guides seem to have a metal insert in them so if I replace it I'll have to get it from them.

Comment

• Sbay
          • Mar 2022

I learned all about valve guides yesterday, after being frustrated with a sticky first on my Neo. I ordered a tune up kit but I thought I’d better try taking a valve apart to see if this would be a diy job or not. Now, after nine years with this horn I have finally found where the valves are numbered! And at some point I had the first and third switched! I’ve been discouraged with my playing lately and chalked it up to very little pandemic practice.

The trouble is, the horn still plays that way, albeit stuffy and out of tune. Yikes.

Comment

• RickF
            • Jan 2006

Yes, the ports for valve 1 and 3 on most euphoniums are close to lining up but it’s not great.

Welcome to the forum.
            Rick Floyd
            Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
            Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
            The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
            Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
            X