Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on a new euphonium?

Suggestions on a new euphonium?

Hey everyone!

I've been reading a lot of threads concerning euphonium choices, and I just wanted an update of sorts to see how they are now. I'm currently a high school student who plays euphonium and am looking to get one of my own.

My budget isn't quite strict but going over $4000 AUD (~$3000 USD) is really quite pushing it. Euphos are quite expensive so it doesn't really help.
    I'm looking for 4-valve (3+1) compensating euphos at a somewhat reasonable price that will last me a long while. At this point, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to continue pursuing music seriously, but I'd rather a good horn that will last me a long time, so that I won't have to spend lots and lots on many different models.

The models I'm looking at at the moment are:
    ~$2900 AUD/$2100 USD - Wessex Dolce
    ~$3100 AUD/$2250 AUD - John Packer JP274s (via dfmusic)
    ~$3900 AUD/$2770 USD - Yamaha YEP-621S (via Tarotrade) ( https://www.tarotrade.com/brass/euph...phonium-detail )
    ~$5800 AUD/$4100 USD - Yamaha YEP-642S (via Tarotrade) ( https://www.tarotrade.com/brass/euph...phonium-detail )
    (Has anyone had any experience with Tarotrade by the way? Their prices are almost "too good to be true". A lot of Australian dealers of Yamaha sell the same models for so much more. The 642 usually goes for $9000 AUD–$15000 AUD. They offer a 1 year warranty as well).

Since I'm still a high school student, and my skill level isn't particularly that impressive, that'll of course influence my choices. It's difficult to find an intermediate/advanced model here in Australia, or one that ships here (I used to have Mack Brass on my list, but I've since learned that they no longer ship internationally), and so I don't want to spend a lot on getting a top of line model since I wouldn't be able to fully utilise it.
    I have a friend who has a JP and is quite happy with it, and recommends it over the Dolce, but I've read lots of threads of people who really do love the Dolce and its sound. I do like a balance between a dark and warm sound since in a year or two, I'll be having a solo performance to be assessed.
    The 3 main factors of this are:
    - Skill Level (I'm not the best, and so this will really quite influence how much I'm willing to spend)
    - Price
    - Durability

But if anyone does have any of the models or had any experiences with them, what do you like about them? And what are some things that you dislike that you think I should be taking into account (ie the action of the valves aren't satisfactory, etc)? And if you have any other suggestions, do let me know!

Sorry if I've repeated myself a few times.
    Many thanks!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    StarGemini - welcome to the forum!

Not sure where you are getting your prices, but the Wessex Dolce lists for $1,695-$1,895 based on finish. Is it that much more down under? If your budget is $3,000 USD, I would recommend the Wessex Sinfonico which at $3,350 is just a bit over your budget. I own a Wessex Dolce and have had it for several years. It is not my main horn, but I use it when I am not playing my Adams. Very nice horn. Plays in tune well, nice sound, valves work well, well built, and is holding up after several years. Wessex does a good job with quality control of the product by inspecting every horn before it leaves the factory (if issues, they get reworked there). Plus, Wessex has a great return program if you do not like the horn. You have two weeks to love it or ship it back. The Sinfonico is definitely a step up from the Dolce. I played it for a week and did a review of the horn on this forum. Look under the Euph Brands for the review. Several others including Dave Werden also reviewed the Sinfonico, and you can hear some videos.

Another possibility is the Austin Custom Brass ACB Doubler Euphonium. It is priced at a little under $2K. They are also very good horns. And these horns have also been reviewed and tested by several members of the forum. Look for those reviews in this section of the forum. Not sure what it costs to ship internationally, but ACB apparently does do it. So check these out as well.

I wouldn't trust Tarotrade as far as I could throw them. One of their listed Main Features on the YEP-621S is "A brief blowing pipe, shape and material (Western white) are blown out by Kazu Buni contributing to missing sound." My goodness that sounds thrilling. Let me have some of that. Stick with established, reputable and known companies.

You can also look for used top brand and model horns online. Sometimes you may find good horns in the $3,000 range. Quinn the Eskimo (google it to get the address online) sells many horns that are open box models or very gently used for good prices.

Happy hunting and good luck.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-06-2022 at 12:32 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks so much, John! I appreciate such a quick response.
    I'm not sure whether I'm looking at the wrong website or not, perhaps the different prices are due to shipping to Australia, but here's the Dolce ( https://www.wessex-tubas.com/product...uphonium-ep100 ), and the Sinfonico ( https://www.wessex-tubas.com/product...nfonico-ep600h ). The Dolce is listed for 1,543 GBP which is about $2,955 AUD/$2,088 USD, and the Sinfonico 2875 GBP or ~$5506 AUD/$3892 USD (both include VAT). Going off of the website, the Sinfonico might be a bit too out of my budget.

The ACB Doubler Euphonium looks and sounds terrific! I've read through some of the reviews and it seems to be a great choice. I have only a minor complaint, and that it doesn't look like it comes with a ABS style case. Is there any way I could perhaps inquire for one? I love the sound of both — it's becoming quite hard to decide between the Packer, Wessex and Doubler. I'm still quite fixated on the durability aspect of them, and they all seem to be quite sturdy (there have been of course a few here and there who say that each aren't that durable. I had someone say elsewhere that the John Packers were the most frequently brought-in horns for repairs). Do you perhaps have a preference? The Doubler seems to be a great "middle-ground" between the Packer and the Wessex.
    Last edited by StarGemini; 02-06-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Hi StarGemini, no fear.... The ACB Doubler's Euphonium does sport a hard case with wheels. Try navigate to the following page:

austincustombrass.com

enter

euphonium doublers

in the search box and submit the search.

You will find there is a page for the doubler euphonium.... Open it.

A statement about the hard case is at the end of the product description.

Best, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 02-06-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    The Wessex Dolce I bought came with a puffy, cloth covered case. I believe, based on their website, the new ones come with an ABS case. I think the ACB Doubler still comes with a cloth covered case similar to my Dolce case, but trimmer and more streamlined.

I tried the links you supplied. I briefly got the website, but then it switched back to English/US. So I don't know about the price there, perhaps it is more for some reason. Do you have to pay VAT in Australia?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I tried the links you supplied. I briefly got the website, but then it switched back to English/US. So I don't know about the price there, perhaps it is more for some reason. Do you have to pay VAT in Australia?
    I would hope not. But the Dolce is still within my price range either way. I might send an email to them just to make sure that they do come with an ABS case. The ACB I would rather come with an ABS style case, but it appears that they still ship with a cloth covered case, I might send an email to them also.

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi StarGemini, no fear.... The ACB Doubler's Euphonium does sport a hard case with wheels. Try navigate to the following page:

austincustombrass.com

enter

euphonium doublers

in the search box and submit the search.

You will find there is a page for the doubler euphonium.... Open it.

A statement about the hard case is at the end of the product description.

Best, Guido
    I appreciate the help, Guido! But the cloth covered case isn't really what I'm looking for. I'd rather an ABS style case just for a tad bit of extra protection. They provide images of the case on the web page on that website.

I would love if anyone who's had experience with both the JP and the Dolce could share their opinions on the both of them. I'm really quite caught between the two of them.
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...r-JP274-review
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...x-Dolce-Review
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...r-274-Thoughts
    I go back to these threads constantly. I love the comparison of the JP's sound being similar to a Besson, and the sound of the Dolce being similar to a Yamaha. I do prefer Bessons' tone over Yamaha's, and the JP is supposedly built slightly thicker than a Wessex.

Hello StatrrGemini, admittedly, even from the product description, it is impossible to tell what the core of the Doubler's hard case is made from:

"Another great feature of this horn is the case: a high quality hard case with wheels! The case is well built and sturdy, providing excellent protection for the instrument in all settings."

Under the exterior fabric and any underlying padding, it might very well sport a hard shell made from dense foam, or chipboard, or plywood, or, well.... ABS.

I'll try to give ACB a buzz and then will post the response I obtain.

Cheers, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 02-07-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

In Australia, I'd try to order something that can be bought directly from Asia: Yamaha, Jupiter, or one of the Chinese instruments (it sounds like Wessex can be bought directly). I wouldn't order something via US/Europe if you can avoid it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast