Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1966 Besson euphonium and Wick 4AL mouthpiece

1. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Medium shank is the correct size. I indicated in my response that I had to use an adapter (supplied originally with the horn) to use the 6 1/2AL and other small shank mouthpieces. Therefore, the 4AM instead of 4AL or 4AY) would be the correct mouthpiece.
    Thank you for your response, and indeed, from your post(s) I understand that for this horn, a Wick 4AM would be appropriate. However, I was further musing (though not really considering a near future purchase) that if I were interested in a Bach 6 1/2AL, again for this horn, I would need to consider a small shank. Correct?

From the Bach catalog, there also appears to be an Artisan series, but I haven't quite figured out what those entail.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kranbridge View Post
    Thank you for your response, and indeed, from your post(s) I understand that for this horn, a Wick 4AM would be appropriate. However, I was further musing (though not really considering a near future purchase) that if I were interested in a Bach 6 1/2AL, again for this horn, I would need to consider a small shank. Correct?
    Even though Bach lists a medium shank, it can be hard to obtain sometimes. Plus many other mouthpieces don't come in medium shank.

You might invest in something like this - an adaptor that will let a small shank mouthpiece be used in a medium shank euphonium:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125136378955

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	8860
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Quote Originally Posted by kranbridge View Post
    Bach does not make medium shank mouthpieces. You would indeed have to use a small shan k with a small to medium (euro) shank adapter.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Bach does not make medium shank mouthpieces. You would indeed have to use a small shan k with a small to medium (euro) shank adapter.
    Apparently they have dropped the medium shank recently. When I first built my mouthpiece comparison pages they offered a few.

It's interesting to watch the shank size evolution. Previously it was the old Bessons and the standard Willson 2900 that used a medium shank. But now Shires is building horns with a medium shank (and also large shank) and Willson has started using large shank on more of the horns.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Thanks to davewerden and daruby, as well as all others, for their quite helpful responses and information!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123