X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kranbridge
    • Oct 2021

1966 Besson euphonium and Wick 4AL mouthpiece

I have a Besson Model 181 4-valve compensating euphonium purchased in 1966. It came with a Besson 10 mouthpiece, something about which (the mouthpiece) I can find little on the internet, as far as specifications are concerned. From what I gather the shank is a Euro shank. My question is whether or not a Wick 4AL mouthpiece would fit this instrument? Thank you.
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

4AL's come in three shanks: small, medium (What you want), and large.

DG

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Actually the Euro size is 4AM.
      Last edited by RickF; 02-04-2022, 01:22 PM.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
      ​

Comment

• kranbridge
        • Oct 2021

Thanks to both for your responses. Re the 4AL/4AM, I was sort of wondering inasmuch as on the Wick website there didn't seem to be subsets (small, medium, large) of the 4AL. Will the 4AM play similarly to the 4AL?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• DEF1
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by kranbridge View Post
          Thanks to both for your responses. Re the 4AL/4AM, I was sort of wondering inasmuch as on the Wick website there didn't seem to be subsets (small, medium, large) of the 4AL. Will the 4AM play similarly to the 4AL?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
          The 4AM is exactly the same as the 4AL other than the shank size.
          JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

The 4AM is the correct mouthpiece for the medium shank Besson 181 (New Standard/Imperial). The Besson 10 mouthpiece is really a miserable excuse for a mouthpiece shaped object. Back in the day, I replaced my Besson 10 with a Bach 6 1/2AL and the medium to small shank adapter that was included with that horn (in addition to the Besson 10).
            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• kranbridge
              • Oct 2021

Thank you for your input, DEF1.
              Last edited by kranbridge; 02-04-2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• kranbridge
                • Oct 2021

Thank you, daruby, for your thoughts, especially about the Besson 10 mouthpiece. Yikes, it's the only one I've ever had. What makes it so lousy, if I may ask. Thank you.

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kranbridge View Post
                  Thank you, daruby, for your thoughts, especially about the Besson 10 mouthpiece. Yikes, it's the only one I've ever had. What makes it so lousy, if I may ask. Thank you.
                  Of course this is based on my experience, but I first played "your horn" in spring of 1969 as a senior in high school and then again from Fall of 1971 to Spring of 1974 at UC Berkeley. Both of these horns came with both the Besson 10 and an adapter that allowed the use of a Tenor shank mouthpiece. In early 1969 I played a Bach 12 (!!) and in later 1969 I switched to a 6 1/2AL. I found the Besson 10 restrictive even when compared with the tiny Bach 12. I recall a somewhat sharp rim which made flexibility difficult for my embouchure. Note: that I played a Conn Connstellation prior to the Besson, and found similar characteristics with the OEM Conn 3 mouthpiece.

For me, at the time, the Bach 6 1/2AL was perfect. In 1980, I purchased my first Sovereign 967. It came with the Wick 4AL which took me several years to transition to after so many years of playing the 6 1/2AL. I switched between the two until the 4AL became my "go to" in the mid 1980s. I have been playing a 4AL ever since.
                  Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Shinn
                    • Feb 2020

Suggest also considering the Alliance line - they offer a DC3M (euro shank).

https://www.alliancebrassltd.com/pro...24353027343750
                    David Shinn
                    Peninsula Concert Band
                    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• kranbridge
                      • Oct 2021

Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Shinn View Post
                        Suggest also considering the Alliance line - they offer a DC3M (euro shank).
                        Be aware that this is a LOT larger than what you are used to in the Besson 10! It would be a tough transition. It is slightly larger-feeling than a 4AL. I now play the Alliance DC4, and it feels very slightly smaller than the 4AL - still a big jump from the 10.

The largest I would suggest is a Wick 6BM. It is a little shallower than the "A" cups in Wick and the rim diameter is similar to the 6-1/2 that Doug mentioned.

FWIW, I wanted to go to a Wick 4AL when I was playing on a 6-1/2AL and could not do it easily in a single step. I moved first to a Bach 5G, then to a Wick 4BL, and finally to the Wick 4AL I played for many years. But some people can make a jump more easily.

Here are many medium-shank mouthpieces, for reference:

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/t...Euro&compare=0
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• kranbridge
                          • Oct 2021

Mr. Werden (don't know your USCG rank, don't know how to best and respectfully address you--thank you for serving, in any case): Thank you for your comments.

Comment

• notaverygoodname
                            • Dec 2019

For the entertainment of the 2 other nerds on the planet...reverse-engineered Besson 10 specs!!

Rim OD: ~37.4mm
                            Rim type: Round, Very Narrow
                            Cup diameter: ~24.4mm
                            Cup depth: Deeper than 6 1/2AL. Shallower than 5G. (Approx. Schilke 44E4 or JK D-cup)
                            Cup shape: Deep narrow bowl?
                            Throat: ~6.7 or 6.8mm
                            Length: ~83.5mm
                            Shank: Besson medium shank (Approx. 11.7mm @ 1:19)

Best I can tell, it's made of some kind of plated nickel silver, which is pretty unusual. In summary, this is basically a medium shank Schilke 44E4 with a round rim, big throat, and garbage backbore because it's old. Despite the large throat, this mouthpiece is somehow not capable of producing an in-tune 8th partial on the 2-20 Baritone. Probably because it's not very good. Totally the kind of mouthpiece that I would have loved when I was in HS. Fortunately, I have since then discovered that I can just buy custom mouthpieces and satisfy my bad taste in cup diameter with something that's otherwise good.
                            Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Comment

• kranbridge
                              • Oct 2021

Thank you for the information.

Comment

Working...
                              X