Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kranbridge
    • Oct 2021

daruby, based on your and others comments regarding shank size, for this Besson the Bach 6 1/2AL small shank would be correct? Thank you.

Comment

• enhite
      • May 2012

I believe that daruby indicated that a your instrument requires a medium (Euro) shank mouthpiece. That is what my Besson New Standard requires. I played it with a small shank Bach 6 1/2 for a few years with a Besson adaptor. Although I play a large shank Wick 4AL on my Adams, I never thought that size mouthpiece, even in a medium shank, sounded good with the smaller Besson. What I use today, when I play the New Standard, is a medium shank Schilke 51D. I think this combination goes well together in producing the traditional British euphonium sound. That said, I have a good used gold plated Wick 4AM (the medium shank version of the 4AL) that I will sell if you are determined to use that size mouthpiece. (PM me if you are interested. I'll donate the appropiate amount to this website if I sell it.)

Comment

• kranbridge
        • Oct 2021

Originally posted by enhite View Post
        I believe that daruby indicated that a your instrument requires a medium (Euro) shank mouthpiece. That is what my Besson New Standard requires. I played it with a small shank Bach 6 1/2 for a few years with a Besson adaptor. Although I play a large shank Wick 4AL on my Adams, I never thought that size mouthpiece, even in a medium shank, sounded good with the smaller Besson. What I use today, when I play the New Standard, is a medium shank Schilke 51D. I think this combination goes well together in producing the traditional British euphonium sound. That said, I have a good used gold plated Wick 4AM (the medium shank version of the 4AL) that I will sell if you are determined to use that size mouthpiece. (PM me if you are interested. I'll donate the appropiate amount to this website if I sell it.)
        Thank you for your response. Based on other responses, I have already purchased a Wick 4AM, but your comments give me pause! Thanks.

Comment

• enhite
          • May 2012

"Thank you for your response. Based on other responses, I have already purchased a Wick 4AM, but your comments give me pause! Thanks."
          As you look through reviews and posts about mouthpieces, you'll find that there are almost as many different opinions as people. I believe that's because none of us are made the same, so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Good luck with you new Wick mouthpiece!

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kranbridge View Post
            daruby, based on your and others comments regarding shank size, for this Besson the Bach 6 1/2AL small shank would be correct? Thank you.
            Medium shank is the correct size. I indicated in my response that I had to use an adapter (supplied originally with the horn) to use the 6 1/2AL and other small shank mouthpieces. Therefore, the 4AM instead of 4AL or 4AY) would be the correct mouthpiece.
            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• kranbridge
              • Oct 2021

Originally posted by daruby View Post
              Medium shank is the correct size. I indicated in my response that I had to use an adapter (supplied originally with the horn) to use the 6 1/2AL and other small shank mouthpieces. Therefore, the 4AM instead of 4AL or 4AY) would be the correct mouthpiece.
              Thank you for your response, and indeed, from your post(s) I understand that for this horn, a Wick 4AM would be appropriate. However, I was further musing (though not really considering a near future purchase) that if I were interested in a Bach 6 1/2AL, again for this horn, I would need to consider a small shank. Correct?

From the Bach catalog, there also appears to be an Artisan series, but I haven't quite figured out what those entail.

Thanks again.

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Thank you for your response, and indeed, from your post(s) I understand that for this horn, a Wick 4AM would be appropriate. However, I was further musing (though not really considering a near future purchase) that if I were interested in a Bach 6 1/2AL, again for this horn, I would need to consider a small shank. Correct?
                Even though Bach lists a medium shank, it can be hard to obtain sometimes. Plus many other mouthpieces don't come in medium shank.

You might invest in something like this - an adaptor that will let a small shank mouthpiece be used in a medium shank euphonium:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125136378955

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	117954
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

Bach does not make medium shank mouthpieces. You would indeed have to use a small shan k with a small to medium (euro) shank adapter.
                  Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                    Bach does not make medium shank mouthpieces. You would indeed have to use a small shan k with a small to medium (euro) shank adapter.
                    Apparently they have dropped the medium shank recently. When I first built my mouthpiece comparison pages they offered a few.

It's interesting to watch the shank size evolution. Previously it was the old Bessons and the standard Willson 2900 that used a medium shank. But now Shires is building horns with a medium shank (and also large shank) and Willson has started using large shank on more of the horns.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                    YouTube: dwerden
                    Facebook: davewerden
                    Twitter: davewerden
                    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• kranbridge
                      • Oct 2021

Thanks to davewerden and daruby, as well as all others, for their quite helpful responses and information!

Comment

Working...
                      X