Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Besson euphonium and Wick 4AL mouthpiece

1. Thanks for your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post
    Suggest also considering the Alliance line - they offer a DC3M (euro shank).
    Be aware that this is a LOT larger than what you are used to in the Besson 10! It would be a tough transition. It is slightly larger-feeling than a 4AL. I now play the Alliance DC4, and it feels very slightly smaller than the 4AL - still a big jump from the 10.

The largest I would suggest is a Wick 6BM. It is a little shallower than the "A" cups in Wick and the rim diameter is similar to the 6-1/2 that Doug mentioned.

FWIW, I wanted to go to a Wick 4AL when I was playing on a 6-1/2AL and could not do it easily in a single step. I moved first to a Bach 5G, then to a Wick 4BL, and finally to the Wick 4AL I played for many years. But some people can make a jump more easily.

Here are many medium-shank mouthpieces, for reference:

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/t...Euro&compare=0
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Mr. Werden (don't know your USCG rank, don't know how to best and respectfully address you--thank you for serving, in any case): Thank you for your comments.

For the entertainment of the 2 other nerds on the planet...reverse-engineered Besson 10 specs!!

Rim OD: ~37.4mm
    Rim type: Round, Very Narrow
    Cup diameter: ~24.4mm
    Cup depth: Deeper than 6 1/2AL. Shallower than 5G. (Approx. Schilke 44E4 or JK D-cup)
    Cup shape: Deep narrow bowl?
    Throat: ~6.7 or 6.8mm
    Length: ~83.5mm
    Shank: Besson medium shank (Approx. 11.7mm @ 1:19)

Best I can tell, it's made of some kind of plated nickel silver, which is pretty unusual. In summary, this is basically a medium shank Schilke 44E4 with a round rim, big throat, and garbage backbore because it's old. Despite the large throat, this mouthpiece is somehow not capable of producing an in-tune 8th partial on the 2-20 Baritone. Probably because it's not very good. Totally the kind of mouthpiece that I would have loved when I was in HS. Fortunately, I have since then discovered that I can just buy custom mouthpieces and satisfy my bad taste in cup diameter with something that's otherwise good.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

5. Thank you for the information.

6. daruby, based on your and others comments regarding shank size, for this Besson the Bach 6 1/2AL small shank would be correct? Thank you.

I believe that daruby indicated that a your instrument requires a medium (Euro) shank mouthpiece. That is what my Besson New Standard requires. I played it with a small shank Bach 6 1/2 for a few years with a Besson adaptor. Although I play a large shank Wick 4AL on my Adams, I never thought that size mouthpiece, even in a medium shank, sounded good with the smaller Besson. What I use today, when I play the New Standard, is a medium shank Schilke 51D. I think this combination goes well together in producing the traditional British euphonium sound. That said, I have a good used gold plated Wick 4AM (the medium shank version of the 4AL) that I will sell if you are determined to use that size mouthpiece. (PM me if you are interested. I'll donate the appropiate amount to this website if I sell it.)

8. Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    I believe that daruby indicated that a your instrument requires a medium (Euro) shank mouthpiece. That is what my Besson New Standard requires. I played it with a small shank Bach 6 1/2 for a few years with a Besson adaptor. Although I play a large shank Wick 4AL on my Adams, I never thought that size mouthpiece, even in a medium shank, sounded good with the smaller Besson. What I use today, when I play the New Standard, is a medium shank Schilke 51D. I think this combination goes well together in producing the traditional British euphonium sound. That said, I have a good used gold plated Wick 4AM (the medium shank version of the 4AL) that I will sell if you are determined to use that size mouthpiece. (PM me if you are interested. I'll donate the appropiate amount to this website if I sell it.)
    Thank you for your response. Based on other responses, I have already purchased a Wick 4AM, but your comments give me pause! Thanks.

"Thank you for your response. Based on other responses, I have already purchased a Wick 4AM, but your comments give me pause! Thanks."
    As you look through reviews and posts about mouthpieces, you'll find that there are almost as many different opinions as people. I believe that's because none of us are made the same, so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Good luck with you new Wick mouthpiece!

10. Quote Originally Posted by kranbridge View Post
    daruby, based on your and others comments regarding shank size, for this Besson the Bach 6 1/2AL small shank would be correct? Thank you.
    Medium shank is the correct size. I indicated in my response that I had to use an adapter (supplied originally with the horn) to use the 6 1/2AL and other small shank mouthpieces. Therefore, the 4AM instead of 4AL or 4AY) would be the correct mouthpiece.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast