Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Embarking on a new euphonium adventure

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hey Magikarp, just landed after an over week-long packing, loading, driving, unloading trip from South Dakota to our new digs in Florida (a 2,000 mile voyage). I briefly saw where your new Adams E2 had arrived. What great news!! Isn't getting a new horn, especially an Adams, an exhilarating event!!?? So happy for you. I have the wooden paddle for the tuning trigger that you have thanks to a recent trip my Adams took to The Netherlands. It does look pretty cool. I love your valve cap buttons! Enjoy the horn as I am sure you will.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Hey Magikarp, just landed after an over week-long packing, loading, driving, unloading trip from South Dakota to our new digs in Florida (a 2,000 mile voyage). I briefly saw where your new Adams E2 had arrived. What great news!! Isn't getting a new horn, especially an Adams, an exhilarating event!!?? So happy for you. I have the wooden paddle for the tuning trigger that you have thanks to a recent trip my Adams took to The Netherlands. It does look pretty cool. I love your valve cap buttons! Enjoy the horn as I am sure you will.
    Afternoon John. I hope you’re well? Sounds to me like you’ve had quite the journey.

It’s been a long time since I have had a brand new euphonium, so picking this one uk has been especially enjoyable. I had a lot of help from Tom at John Packer, but most helpful has been Gary Curtin.

Despite the fact I have had the euph for nearly a week I haven’t really spent any time looking at it or fiddling with it.

My initial observations are that it seems to be extraordinarily well constructed. The valves are pretty smooth, but I haven’t cleaned it or oiled them at all yet so they will only improve. I’m thinking about getting some Mead springs because they worked well with the last hooter.

The main tuning slide needs cleaning an reapplication of grease - I suspect I will go back to using Slide-o-mix Rapid Comfort as it worked brilliantly on the Prestiges I’ve owned previously.

The wooden trigger paddle is interesting as it rotates to maximise comfort. I’m not used to a trigger so I will have relearn the ergonomics. Having said that the intonation is so exemplary that I suspect that the only adjustment will be using 3rd valve for middle A. It’s decidedly odd playing an instrument where top F and G are in tune without having to adjust.

3. Adams euphoniums are extremely in tune, but yes the middle A is the only weird pitch I’ve found on it. I recently upgraded from my Yamaha 642S to an Adams E1 with a gold brass bell and SS leadpipe! I have mead light springs in my instrument, and they work extremely well compared to my old Yamaha. Also I saw your comment about the parade, I used my 642S for once, and my back was not very happy with me. You’ll be sure to fall in love with it as you continue to break it in, keep us posted!
    Last edited by bayoung36; 05-08-2022 at 05:59 PM.
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

FWIW, I suggest that the standard Mead springs are too stiff for this valve assembly. I find that the Mead Light springs are just right!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    FWIW, I suggest that the standard Mead springs are too stiff for this valve assembly. I find that the Mead Light springs are just right!
    Afternoon David, thanks for the advice. I ordered two sets as there is deal on them on Steven Mead's website at the moment. I have had a play around with the euphonium today - put some more lubrication on the main tuning slide and oiled the valves. I have ordered some special lint free cloth, and will clean the valves and valve casings, and then refill them, to remove the transit oil.

I'm very impressed with the trigger mechanism too - seems to be very well designed and engineered. I have adjusted the thumb so it is almost flush with the legs of the 3rd slide, it doesn't mean the amount of travel the tuning slide has is minimal but I suspect the amount of use the trigger will get is minimal!

Really looking forward to an extra band rehearsal this evening.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for reading my ramblings.
    Nowt

Retired

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345