Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Embarking on a new euphonium adventure

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    317
    Hello Simon-Magicarp, I am wondering which mouthpiece you used whilst testing E2 and the other eupho upgrade candidates... Perhaps the Alliance 3 listed in your signature line?

    Meantime, in case anyone has not spotted Aaron Vanderweele on E2, below is the crispest quality recording that I found of Aaron on E2, here performing the Cosma Concerto. For this clip, friend Richard III suggested he might be using a Wick AL series MP:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffaDvuy0YZY

    Regards/saluti, Guido
    Wessex EP104 Festivo + DC4, SM4U, 51D

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Simon-Magicarp, I am wondering which mouthpiece you used whilst testing E2 and the other eupho upgrade candidates... Perhaps the Alliance 3 listed in your signature line?

    Meantime, in case anyone has not spotted Aaron Vanderweele on E2, below is the crispest quality recording that I found of Aaron on E2, here performing the Cosma Concerto. For this clip, friend Richard III suggested he might be using a Wick AL series MP:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffaDvuy0YZY

    Regards/saluti, Guido
    I had a listen to that - there is some seriously good playing there.

    I have made the right choice.

    And yes, Alliance DC3, half silver / half gold.
    Adams E2 0.80 Yellow Brass, Satin Lacquer, Blue Abalone Buttons
    AR Resonance M Top / L Backbore Gold Plated Phosphor Bronze

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    317
    Hello MagiKarp, yes Vanderweele+E2+AL do sound truly impressive in the Cosma Concerto recording.

    Yet I have the feeling that the combination of DC3 on E2 might potentially enhance the tonal/harmonic magic even further.

    Ahem... I do freely admit of being an extremophile DC fan

    Regards, Guido
    Wessex EP104 Festivo + DC4, SM4U, 51D

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello MagiKarp, yes Vanderweele+E2+AL do sound truly impressive in the Cosma Concerto recording.

    Yet I have the feeling that the combination of DC3 on E2 might potentially enhance the tonal/harmonic magic even further.

    Ahem... I do freely admit of being an extremophile DC fan

    Regards, Guido
    I changed from a Randelfalk R3 at the start of the year and intially wasn’t sure I’d made the right choice. The DC3 seemed to have a much airier sound, but that’s actually translated into a much softer pianissimo. Perhaps it just needed more time for adjustment.

    Aaron seems to make what I’d call a British sound - fairly fat sound, even across the registers, and with a pronounced vibrato, and he seems to play at a decent volume, in contrast to some of the new virtuosos who are very delicate and precise. I prefer a more dramatic Bel Canto style, personally.
    Adams E2 0.80 Yellow Brass, Satin Lacquer, Blue Abalone Buttons
    AR Resonance M Top / L Backbore Gold Plated Phosphor Bronze

  5. #25
    One final thing I forgot to mention, the Adams is £2000 cheaper for exactly the spec I want than a standard off-the-shelf Besson Prestige.

    I’d guess the reason they’re not being taken up by dealers is the margin must be smaller.

  6. #26
    I’ve been told by the dealer that the E2 should be arriving at some between the middle and end of April. This is exciting!
    Adams E2 0.80 Yellow Brass, Satin Lacquer, Blue Abalone Buttons
    AR Resonance M Top / L Backbore Gold Plated Phosphor Bronze

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    I’ve been told by the dealer that the E2 should be arriving at some between the middle and end of April. This is exciting!
    Exciting times - keep us posted!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

  8. #28
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CEDFD79-104A-4C48-88C8-7F34D83B29B3-35673-000009FD0DA87ACD.JPEG 
Views:	39 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	9024

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7868CE6-CC0E-4684-ABCD-D8F0B26EC751-35673-000009FD0D733857.JPEG 
Views:	33 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	9025

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03D100F8-8ABF-4F6C-8BDA-2D8B74595E56-35673-000009FD0D963AD9.JPEG 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	9026

    I will be collecting this on Tuesday. I cannot wait. It looks, from the photos, exactly as good as I hoped it might.
    Adams E2 0.80 Yellow Brass, Satin Lacquer, Blue Abalone Buttons
    AR Resonance M Top / L Backbore Gold Plated Phosphor Bronze

  9. #29
    I have it!

    It is absolutely incredible and precisely what I was hoping it would be. It feels preposterously well constructed, monstrously weighty, and whilst different ergonomically to what I am used to it won’t take much getting used to.

    The intonation is remarkable: top F and G are absolutely in tune, with no assistance required.

    I have some intonation “unlearning” to do - compensating for the foibles of Besson instruments won’t work on this thing.

    It is very, very heavy too, so my 16 mile marching job I have on Saturday will not feature this hooter - the truly dreadful 967GS I have borrowed will have to suffice.

    I have taken lots of photos for anyone who is interested.
    Last edited by Magikarp; 05-03-2022 at 04:50 PM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,562
    Congratulations on your new horn! Sounds really great.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank


    "Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Greensleeves (arr. Alfred Reed)


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •