Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adams E3 Changes

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Adams E3 Changes

Just got my Adams E3 back from the Adams factory in The Netherlands. Miel and his crew did a few things to include changes to the trigger / main tuning slide and a new leadpipe. Here are some before and after pictures:

Original trigger paddle (I think nickel-silver, not totally sure):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams11 (2018_05_09 14_34_50 UTC).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	8833

New trigger paddle (Wooden, sort of like some of the trigger paddles on high end trombones with F attachments):

Name:	Trigger Paddle Assembly Picture 2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	8834

Original main tuning slide:

Name:	Adams6 (2018_05_09 14_34_50 UTC).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	8836 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams20 (2018_05_09 14_34_50 UTC).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	8835

New main tuning slide:

Name:	New Main Tuning Slide.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	8837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Main Tuning Slide Closeup.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	8838

Original yellow brass leadpipe:

Name:	Adams13 (2018_05_09 14_34_50 UTC).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	8839

New sterling silver leadpipe:

Name:	New Sterling Silver Leadpipe Picture 1.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	8840

The switch on the main tuning slide (reversing the legs on the side closest to the outer bow and 4th valve) does several things (in my opinion). One, the slide is designed looser than the others to begin with to allow for easy trigger operation, but the original has the potential to drip / ooze a drop every so often because of this "looseness". Having the legs reversed, eliminates that possibility. Two, the main tuning slide "seems" to operate easier and freer. Perhaps because of the opposite types of legs and receivers on each end of the main tuning slide. And three, there may be potentially a little less resistance with the tube coming out of the 4th valve going "in" to the main tuning slide leg, instead of the other way around as with the original design, however the difference is no doubt very small.

I got a fresh refinish of the horn on the house because of the work done on these things, so when my horn arrived, this was like getting a brand-new horn. Christmas in January!! I continue to be very impressed with Miel and the entire Adams Musical Instrument operation. I love my Adams, not doubt about it! What a spectacular horn.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 01-23-2022 at 12:02 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Congrats on your *new* horn again! Looks great. Just to be sure I understand, the tuning slide is female on both ends or is one leg female, and the other leg male like the M5050?

Oops, never mind. I see now from zooming in to the pics that leg that is closest to bell is male.

It looks really nice!!
    Last edited by RickF; 01-21-2022 at 09:13 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Good to know Adams is so responsive to your requests John. What is the advantage of the SS lead pipe? Can you tell a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Good to know Adams is so responsive to your requests John. What is the advantage of the SS lead pipe? Can you tell a difference?
    Hi Michael,

This according to Miel regarding the leadpipes (I took the liberty to edit a bit of Miel's almost real good English):

Yellow brass: clear sound, good articulation and also a good projection

Gold brass: a bit warmer sound than yellow brass, but still good articulation and maybe a tiny less projection

Red brass: warm and darker sounding leadpipe than the other lead pipes, but you will lose a bit on articulation and projection

Sterling silver: for some musicians this is a harder metal to handle, but if you have this lead pipe under control, you have a very wide range of colors you can produce as a musician, this leadpipe projects fantastic and articulates good

Nickel silver: a lead pipe that has fewer high overtones so it will miss a bit of the sparkling sound, for most ears it is darker in sound, but I personally miss the brightness in this lead pipe, it plays and articulates well

So, having a sterling silver bell, with the same sort of comments from Miel as to its capabilities and sound, I opted for the sterling silver. I have been a little under the weather lately, and when the Adams arrived back home yesterday, I played it some. Today, I also played it some, but I am still a little foggy and my ears aren't totally clear, so I don't have a complete idea yet on how I like it. I just don't have it dialed in yet. I have been playing my Wessex Dolce for over a month, so I also just need a few days to get back on the Adams. I am kind of hoping on "a very wide range of colors" and good projection. I will write more after a little while with it.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 01-23-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Congrats on your *new* horn again! Looks great. Just to be sure I understand, the tuning slide is female on both ends or is one leg female, and the other leg male like the M5050?

Oops, never mind. I see now from zooming in to the pics that leg is closest to bell is male.

It looks really nice!!
    Thanks, Rick. I have had the Adams almost 6 years now! My how time flies! Yep, you got it, one female leg, one male leg on the slide. I think I am going to like it. The main tuning slide works easier now, of course that could be that Adams put some good stuff on the slide, but I actually think it is easier. But it sure is nice to have it back home!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

6. John,

That horn is absolutely stunning. I am so pleased for you that you got this work done. I am hoping to get to Europe this summer for the IBBSS and then make a trip to drop off my Adams with Miel for a Sterling Silver and tuning trigger upgrade. I would then like to go to Switzerland (Lake Geneva area) to meet up with my watchmaker (my new hobby).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    John,

That horn is absolutely stunning. I am so pleased for you that you got this work done. I am hoping to get to Europe this summer for the IBBSS and then make a trip to drop off my Adams with Miel for a Sterling Silver and tuning trigger upgrade. I would then like to go to Switzerland (Lake Geneva area) to meet up with my watchmaker (my new hobby).

Doug
    Thanks, Doug. That sounds like a fun and great trip. I would love to go to Adams someday, but it is nice also just getting to meet and visit with Miel at each of the big ITEC conventions every 3 years or so.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Hi John, congratulations on the upgrade of your magnificent horn. The inversion of the tubes on the main tune slide is nothing new as it has already been present for some time on some models of trumpets and trombones. On the euphonium I had seen it a decade ago when I happened to give it a try on the Miraphone 5050 Ambassador: it's a smart idea to avoid the almost inevitable dripping of condensation for those slides that have a sliding mechanism to adjust the intonation. I say almost because on my Besson Prestige I solved the problem by expanding the terminal part of the slide tube (to be understood as the swelling present in the final part of the trombone tubes that fit into the drawstring) to the extent that allowed me both free sliding and resistance to water loss. I think that this solution is not normally applied due to the fact that the fixing crosspiece of the valve part to the bell must be applied immediately under the fourth piston and not further down, at the end of the outlet pipe, which makes the assembly more solid. and which also prevents, as on the Besson prestige, from fixing the polycarbonate protection plate.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Beautiful! I like how you engraved your name on it. Nice!
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Hi John, congratulations on the upgrade of your magnificent horn. The inversion of the tubes on the main tune slide is nothing new as it has already been present for some time on some models of trumpets and trombones. On the euphonium I had seen it a decade ago when I happened to give it a try on the Miraphone 5050 Ambassador: it's a smart idea to avoid the almost inevitable dripping of condensation for those slides that have a sliding mechanism to adjust the intonation. I say almost because on my Besson Prestige I solved the problem by expanding the terminal part of the slide tube (to be understood as the swelling present in the final part of the trombone tubes that fit into the drawstring) to the extent that allowed me both free sliding and resistance to water loss. I think that this solution is not normally applied due to the fact that the fixing crosspiece of the valve part to the bell must be applied immediately under the fourth piston and not further down, at the end of the outlet pipe, which makes the assembly more solid. and which also prevents, as on the Besson prestige, from fixing the polycarbonate protection plate.
    Franz,

Good point on the brace between the 4th valve slide and the outer bow. It is indeed moved up from where it was about mid-way down between the 4th valve and the bottom of the main tuning slide. My guard (Besson's protection plate) is very small and on the other side of the main tuning slide, so I don't have a connection problem. I gave a little tug and push on the bottom of the main tuning slide by the water key, and it seems pretty solid, so I am not worried about it at this moment. Furthermore, the angle of my lead pipe is such that when I hold the horn, the side with the slide guard (nearest the sterling silver bell) is close or touching my front side, but the other side is angled out away from my body, probably at a 30 to 45 degree angle. So, I don't press that area into me.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast