Thread: EP100s Yamaha early euphonium or baritone?

EP100s Yamaha early euphonium or baritone?

I've seen a Yamaha ep100s on the local market. It looks to be an early baritone, with three valves, but the picture quality is odd and it could be a euphonium. Has anyone run into this? My daughter is playing some now on a used Jupiter 4 valve I found, but she might do better with a small baritone. Someone asked the same question on reddit a few years back and never got a good answer. I thought the folk here might know if there's a definitive Yamaha low brass list somewhere.

I found some photos of a YEP-100S. It's a fairly bog standard Euphonium. I guess it's small compared to modern day tanks.

Some dude's repair album
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Thanks! If I am close to the seller I'll check it out. The 4 valve she can hold, but it's hard for her to position it well. Even going with a three valve may be easier. This must be like the modern 301 or something. She's still under 5', so a smaller instrument could be nice.

One more thing, notaverygoodname: it looks like this repair shop with the photos in Malaysia, and these seem to be mostly an instrument sold in Asia. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of Yamaha low brass (for trumpet, someone has put basically every model into a spreadsheet).

I'm not well-versed in the history of Yamaha's brass instruments, but I figure that YEP-100S is the old version of what is now the YEP-201S. The only difference that I can see is that the bell appears to have a slightly tighter taper on the 100.

In any event, since the model name is YEP, it will be a Euphonium of some sort. Their Baritone Horns and Marching Baritones use the YBH prefix. To my ability to determine, Yamaha never made a Baritone Saxhorn type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by comebackplayer View Post
    One more thing, notaverygoodname: it looks like this repair shop with the photos in Malaysia, and these seem to be mostly an instrument sold in Asia. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of Yamaha low brass (for trumpet, someone has put basically every model into a spreadsheet).
    You know, there is a forum member who regularly played on what I think was a Yamaha YEP100. I think that she is still active and was from Malaysia too. Her user user name is ChristianeSparkle. Maybe she can offer some insight about this horn, its playing qualities, and its suitability for young players.

- Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 02-04-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    You know, there is a forum member who regularly played on what I think was a Yamaha YEP100. I think that she is still active and was from Malaysia too. Her user user name is ChristianeSparkle. Maybe she can offer some insight about this horn, its playing qualities, and its suitability for young players.

- Sara
    Thank you for this. I searched and it looks like she was perhaps looking to upgrade to a 4 valve euphonium, which is what I have already. I may just keep an eye out for smaller baritones and get one of those when I can. The Yamahas, even with 3 valves, are looking like they're still pretty big.

I recommend giving a chance to a Neotech Brass Sling. It's a lot cheaper than buying another instrument, and removes all of the problems that might come from getting something questionable. Maybe a bit fiddly to set up, but once you get it, you got it. You can just leave it on. It works with pretty much any instrument that is even vaguely upright.

Quote Originally Posted by comebackplayer View Post
    I searched and it looks like she was perhaps looking to upgrade to a 4 valve euphonium, which is what I have already.
    Yes, she did upgrade her horn. What I was suggesting is that you talk to her about her experience with the 100. As someone who as spent time playing one, she could offer insight about whether it suits the use you are considering it for. Get her to talk about her "old horn" and ask your questions (smile).

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240