Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Needing advice on a Euphonium upgrade

Good idea linking to that how's your horn holding up thread, David.

To the OP, I have a post near the end of that thread with photos and a description of maintenance issues that I had after 7 years with the Schiller. I have no experience with ACB Doubler and don't know if my experience is in any way comparable to the Doubler so take it with a grain of salt.

2. Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful replies - especially David. I’m amazed at the amount of time that you must have spent on this. You have laid things out very nicely.

Clearly I have some pondering to do. And a wife to convince that spending a couple of grand for more noise-making is a good idea.

I shall keep you posted.

Best regards.

Mike

SOLD!

A 1961 Besson New Standard 3+1 was just listed on Reverb - only $1,495 (or best offer) plus $76 shipping.

https://reverb.com/item/49507711-bes...ntent=49507711
    Last edited by Shinn; 01-18-2022 at 07:36 AM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Hello All, I am new to the forum, but have similar questions regarding Euphonium bore and mouthpiece bore size. I'm an older player, 75, that returned to playing after a 45 year layoff. I'm an intermediate player at best. I have a Bach 1110 (.571 bore) which I believe is essentially the same as a Yamaha YEP 321. I would like to try a smaller bore horn that doesn't require quite the lung capacity as what I have. Any thoughts/comments/opinions on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ollie

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Hello All, I am new to the forum, but have similar questions regarding Euphonium bore and mouthpiece bore size. I'm an older player, 75, that returned to playing after a 45 year layoff. I'm an intermediate player at best. I have a Bach 1110 (.571 bore) which I believe is essentially the same as a Yamaha YEP 321. I would like to try a smaller bore horn that doesn't require quite the lung capacity as what I have. Any thoughts/comments/opinions on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ollie
    Welcome to the Forum, Ollie!

As for bore size, .571 is about the smallest you will find with euphoniums. I think there is a Jupiter that has a bore size of .570, but that is a pretty insignificant difference. Are you planning to play in any ensembles? You might consider an English style baritone, and these have bore sizes around a half inch or so. But that is a different instrument.

As for lung capacity, I am 74, and I smoked for years, quit about 10 years ago, but still have lasting lung damage. I am probably operating at anywhere from 50-65% of where I should be if I hadn't smoked. So there is definitely less lung capacity. A different mouthpiece might help some. Perhaps you can play for a period of time to find out if you really can get back with the horn you had. Laying off for a while makes everything not work quite so well, you just might need some time to fully determine how you will be with your size of a horn.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I’m playing an amazing uncompensated horn that has the beautiful tone of a large bore but is a very light blower.

It is a “name” horn, and I am super happy with it.

If you get a chance, seek out previously played, and play before you pay!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm glad I found the forum and will continue to monitor it.

Ollie

Ollie, for what it's worth, I think it would be worth your while to try a few of the large-bore modern horns. I test everything I can get my hands on, and the compensating Willson, Yamaha, and Adams all have really easy response. The Adams is the lightest of the bunch, and as so may be a bit less work to play. Adams makes a Sonic model, which is a non-compensating 4-valve version and saves quite a bit in price.

When I play my baritone, I find some things are easier because of the small bore. Fast tonguing is one of those. But in playing marches, I seem to get more tired because of the extra resistance the small bore brings. A baritone would not be a good choice in concert bands because the tone is too different.

However, the old American horns called "baritone horns" are generally just smaller euphoniums, with a bore around .560. A 4-valve King or Conn of that nature would be a nice compromise.

BUT...don't necessarily assume that smaller bore horns will be easier for YOU to play. The new horns like mine are quite refined and respond very easily. A larger horn like that might still sound good if you use a smaller mouthpiece, which could save on air.

A lot depends on what you mean by "the lung capacity as what I have" and how you interact with your lungs and the horn.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

It's not so much the tool as it is the carpenter. I think that I could hand Dave just about any euphonium mentioned in this series of posts and he'd sound glorious. It often comes down to appearance, feel, nuance, and things that are so subjective that the player might have to wander around a bit (and spend a bit of $$) to eventually find their euphonium "home". I personally think that's part of the pleasure of my euphonium journey (though my wife might not agree after seeing yet ANOTHER euphonium arrive on her doorstep). I personally keep gravitating back to Bessons. The sound just feels right to me in my style of play and I love the way the horn looks and feels. Your mileage will definitely vary, and those who make money playing their horns will have a totally different perspective.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    I’m playing an amazing uncompensated horn that has the beautiful tone of a large bore but is a very light blower.

It is a “name” horn, and I am super happy with it.

If you get a chance, seek out previously played, and play before you pay!
    A few months ago I bought an Adams Sonic, which fits your description perfectly with regard to tone and lightness of blow. I really like the Sonic and find it an exceptional euphonium. This is the fourth Adams I've bought, and other than the obvious range issues, being non-compensated, I like it as much or more than the others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast