X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rwwilson
    • Jan 2022

Question from trumpet player looking to add low brass

I am a longtime trumpet and cornet player. Lately I’ve had a desire to play a euphonium or baritone. I understand the differences between them and have listened to recordings of both euphoniums and English style baritones. I’m drawn to the sound of the English baritones as well as their smaller size. I live in the US and play in community bands, a British style brass band and a variety of other smaller groups. The baritone would be pretty much for my own enjoyment but there may be opportunities to play it in a community band and a polka band after I’ve gotten proficient enough. I am asking for the opinions of the members of this forum about how likely would it be that the English baritone would be accepted in a community band.
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Welcome to the forum!!

Depending on the community band, I am sure some of them would not toss you out because you want to play English baritone, however, you would be playing the baritone horn and/or the euphonium parts on an English style baritone, which isn't exactly the norm. I play in a New Horizons Band in South Dakota, and one of my section mates went and bought an English style baritone (Wessex) and played it in our section. It wasn't a totally great fit from my perspective.

If your desire is to play either a euphonium or baritone, and further to play in a community band and a polka band, I would suggest that the euphonium (or American style baritone horn, i.e., Conn or King models) would work better. I believe you would have more opportunities on a euphonium/American baritone horn. If you want an instrument that works well for a community band AND a polka band, then an American style baritone horn might be a great choice. But a euphonium also works.

The English style baritone seems to me a more specialized instrument, with the British Brass Band the most likely spot for it, and certainly it is a perfect and usual fit for the baritone section of a brass band. There could be places for the English baritone in small ensembles and perhaps solo work.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

Working...
    X