Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shires Modular Receiver and Trigger Pictures

Here is a video I did recently about using the AGR on my Adams euphonium. I DO venture into the issue of how little is too little when you adjust it.

https://youtu.be/nnGCZHfSCAY

The caliper shows how fine the adjustments are.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is a video I did recently about using the AGR on my Adams euphonium. I DO venture into the issue of how little is too little when you adjust it.

https://youtu.be/nnGCZHfSCAY

The caliper shows how fine the adjustments are.
    Thanks for making that video, really helpful to see it in action! Not sure how one would do this, but it would be cool to see a "deconstructed" version of that to get an idea of how it looks on the inside. Wouldn't change how you use it, but just for fun!

My only question would be what happens when a mouthpiece goes in too far to start (essentially a negative gap) and the mouthpieces ends up going past the end of the receiver (this is the issue I have on the Shires euph, which is fixed by using bits that adjust the insertion depth).

Wouldn't unscrewing the AGR not be able fix the issue of having a negative gap to start? Also, not sure how negligible that space would be since you are able to unscrew the receiver enough to make sure the mouthpiece doesn't go into the mouthpipe.
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado
    S.E. Shires Euphonium Artist

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Shires Q40 Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by stevevaughn View Post
    Thanks for making that video, really helpful to see it in action! Not sure how one would do this, but it would be cool to see a "deconstructed" version of that to get an idea of how it looks on the inside. Wouldn't change how you use it, but just for fun!

My only question would be what happens when a mouthpiece goes in too far to start (essentially a negative gap) and the mouthpieces ends up going past the end of the receiver (this is the issue I have on the Shires euph, which is fixed by using bits that adjust the insertion depth).

Wouldn't unscrewing the AGR not be able fix the issue of having a negative gap to start? Also, not sure how negligible that space would be since you are able to unscrew the receiver enough to make sure the mouthpiece doesn't go into the mouthpipe.
    Well, without drawing pictures, this I can say:

The receiver is just at two inches long. The lead pipe has external threads on it. The receiver on the inside of it has internal threads that screw onto the lead pipe. These internal threads extend into the receiver for about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. The rest of the inside of the receiver is smooth to accept the shank of the mouthpiece at the other end. When I put my Warburton Demondrae mouthpiece in, it goes in about one inch. Just eyeballing the space from the end of the shank (the furthest part of the shank in the receiver) to the start of the internal threads is maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch. In this situation, if I screwed the receiver in as far as I could, the gap would be about 1/4 - 1/3 inch. Mind you these are all just ballpark estimates, in fact I actually don't have my Adams with me at the moment; I am simply using one of the Adams receivers I have along with the Warburton mouthpiece. I tried several mouthpieces to include a Wick 4AL, a Schilke, a K&G, a King 5G, and a BB piece. None of them touched the threaded part of the receiver.

My conclusions are that most any mouthpiece will go in the receiver without bottoming out. You can make the gap as small as 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch, and as large as in the neighborhood of 1 inch.

As to your question about a mouthpiece going past the end of the receiver: It would have to go in more than 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 inches to bottom out on the threads on the inside of the receiver. If the mouthpiece fits in the Adams receiver, then it won't bottom out in any of the screwed in or out positions.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Kingdom of the Sun Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, without drawing pictures, this I can say:

The receiver is just at two inches long. The lead pipe has external threads on it. The receiver on the inside of it has internal threads that screw onto the lead pipe. These internal threads extend into the receiver for about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. The rest of the inside of the receiver is smooth to accept the shank of the mouthpiece at the other end. When I put my Warburton Demondrae mouthpiece in, it goes in about one inch. Just eyeballing the space from the end of the shank (the furthest part of the shank in the receiver) to the start of the internal threads is maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch. In this situation, if I screwed the receiver in as far as I could, the gap would be about 1/4 - 1/3 inch. Mind you these are all just ballpark estimates, in fact I actually don't have my Adams with me at the moment; I am simply using one of the Adams receivers I have along with the Warburton mouthpiece. I tried several mouthpieces to include a Wick 4AL, a Schilke, a K&G, a King 5G, and a BB piece. None of them touched the threaded part of the receiver.

My conclusions are that most any mouthpiece will go in the receiver without bottoming out. You can make the gap as small as 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch, and as large as in the neighborhood of 1 inch.

As to your question about a mouthpiece going past the end of the receiver: It would have to go in more than 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 inches to bottom out on the threads on the inside of the receiver. If the mouthpiece fits in the Adams receiver, then it won't bottom out in any of the screwed in or out positions.
    Good to know, sounds like the made the insertion depth of the mouthpiece fairly shallow to ensure that doesn't happen. My SM4U goes into the standard Shires receiver at 1.3" measured with calipers . With the bit that corrects the negative gap is goes in 1" measured (with the #2.5 bit for those curious, which gives no gap; the end of the mouthpiece goes right up to the end of the receiver).
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Shires Q40 Euphonium

Just got my horn back from the shop. Pictures of the trigger and the receiver. All works just as expected, smooth as butter!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0195.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	8826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0196.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	8827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	8828
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Shires Q40 Euphonium

The pictures look great, congrats!

Speaking of gaps, Warburton offers an interesting device to measure them. Here's the link:

https://warburton-usa.com/collection...ducts/gap-chek

It looks like it's for trumpet and may (probably) wouldn't work on euphonium.

Robert Pendergast, DM

The trigger install looks really nice. The finished product looks very factory installed, not add-on at all. One of the nicer trigger systems I have seen!

By the way, in case anyone has not listened to Steven play, here is the link again from Steven playing Blind Spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIYJ_m_rZAI

A really nice performance, Steven!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Kingdom of the Sun Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)

8. Does Shires have the kit in stock? I got my Q40 a few weeks ago and just love it, but my SM4 needs the kit...

Quote Originally Posted by TedZateslo View Post
    Does Shires have the kit in stock? I got my Q40 a few weeks ago and just love it, but my SM4 needs the kit...
    The trigger kit had been backordered for a while. I had requested my kit a few months ago and just got it this past week. It would be worth reaching out to them to see if they have more stock now for the trigger kit. The receiver and bits were NOT backordered for me so those you should hopefully have no problem getting.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Q40!! It's a really great horn, and the difference once you get the receiver on it with the right bit is tremendous!!
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Shires Q40 Euphonium

FYI, here is a previous video I did where I show some more detail in the inner parts of the AGR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ulQaDCf3Q
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast