Thread: Variation in instruments from different Besson manufacturing locations

1. Variation in instruments from different Besson manufacturing locations

I’m looking into ordering a BE2052-8G-0, and I read that these instruments can be made in different countries. So I was just wondering how they differ, and if anyone has recommendations for retailers, that would be great.

I am under the impression that Prestige models are all made in Germany and each is tested by Steven Mead or other professional players.

3. As far as I know, that specific Prestige you're looking at (the gold lacquered version Steven Mead now uses) is, like the rest of the Prestige/Sovereign line of instruments, manufactured in Markneukirchen, Germany. Like Michael mentioned above, Steven Mead visits the factory there fairly regularly to play test each new batch of baritones and euphoniums.

While it's true that the Sovereign and Prestige instruments were in the past built in different places depending on the year (previously have been built in the UK, and I think for a time in France? I might be remembering wrong on that), any *new* Besson Sovereign/Prestige bought today will have come out of the factory in Germany. It'll even say on the mouthpiece receiver, under the Besson logo "Made in Germany"

As for retailers, it depends on what country/region you're living in. If there aren't any near you that have one in stock, they may be able to order one for you, or you could contact the Besson representative for your region to see about getting one to try out. You could even contact Steven Mead! He's very responsive through email and Facebook Messenger, and would likely be happy to help you out.
    Last edited by Fujiifilm; 07-01-2022 at 07:53 PM. Reason: extra info on retailers
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)