Thread: Euphonium valuation - Besson Sovereign 967

1. Euphonium valuation - Besson Sovereign 967

Hi,

I'm looking to sell my euphonium and was wondering if anyone could help by providing a reasonable estimate for it.

Make/model: Besson Sovereign 967
    Serial number: 967-806691
    Year of production: ~1993 (using the guide on this website)

I purchased this in ~2001 from the original buyer. I've attached images of the euphonium for reference. The instrument is generally in good condition with minor tarnishing in a couple of places and one small dent.

If anyone has any further questions please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 front.jpg   2 back.jpg   3 serial.jpg   4 small dent.jpg  

Welcome to the forum, Jon!

Estimating a value is always tricky. With the right buyer you get top dollar; if the "right buyer" is not looking at this time you settle for less. In general, a top brand 4v compensating euph is worth from $1800 to $4000. Your is in very good shape, so it is *not* at the bottom of the range. I would estimate between $3k and $4k, with the latter being a matter of the luck I referenced earlier in the paragraph. Including the original case in good condition makes it easier to get a better price for it, and any extras might boost it as well (such as a nice gig bag).

Putting it on eBay as an auction might be a good bet. You get a very wide audience of possible buyers, of course, and an auction with a buy-it-now button usually works well. You could set the buy-it-now at the top of what you figure/hope to get and have a starting bid at the very minimum you consider acceptable. OR you could list it as a buy-now offer with a fixed price (your ideal price) and a make-offer button to entertain lower offers. The advantage of the first way is the lower price shown as a starting bid, which might attract more interest, but this is guesswork on my part.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Looks to be in great shape. This is an older style Sovereign with the soldered leadpipe and heavier gauge metal, Besson would change over to the Sovereign GS model the year after this horn was build. I wrote an essay not to long ago about the history of the Besson Sovereign euphonium model and the differences between several generations of manufacturing, you can read about here: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...ory-amp-review

The condition looks good considering it's nearly 30 years old. Silverplate seems to be excellent and that one dent shouldn't affect the value. Valves should be fine too for this age.

Considering that the horn is in fantastic shape comes with what seems to be the original hardcase and is pretty desirable to a lot euphonium players, I wouldn't mind asking $4500. Asking price and selling price can be different though and it all depends on the current demand. Considering it's a Sovereign and the condition you shouldn't have any trouble selling.
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

4. Thanks for your detailed response!

Completely understand r.e. "right buyer". Fortunately, I'm in no rush so if necessary it can wait until the right person is looking to buy.

It is in a Besson hard case that I presume is the original. The case functions fine but is quite bumped and scratched from use.

Thanks for the advice about eBay listing, that approach makes a lot of sense.

5. @vito Thanks for the further information. I'll give your essay a read!